HELP-ASAP -D1 brakes failed must limp home 10miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for the cap's but I sorta need some quick advise/help.

my brakes just went out (fortunately pulling into a parking space) - completely to the floor - nothing - fluid leaking from a break line

I need to limp home about 10 miles when i get off work in about 4 hrs.
I read that using the parking break can trash the transfercase.
Im concerned about running it in gear 1 the whole way or using the tranny to 'downshift'

whats the least destructive way to get the vehicle home (other than a $300.00 towing job).

vehicle:
1998 D1
no mods - automatic tranny
92k miles

Last edited:

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT:
drove home in low range used parking-brake sparingly as I read you can rip it off the t-case otherwise

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry I didn't see this before... I would have just recommended a tow as it would have been safer and cheaper than an accident...

Va_Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt see this when you posted it long ago. I have lost a brake line before (one of the rubber lines) I just used a pair of vise grips and clamped the offending line closed and added fluid and it was good enough to get me back to the house. What line went bad on yours?

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was where the lines come down from the engine bay at the coupler - the hardline failed - looks like a vulnerable spot as its just behind the front tire mudflap but not completely coverd by the mud flap
replaced all hard lines (60+ ft),upgraded to extended braided flex lines and replaced Master cylinder (was leaking) as a result

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick