Battery replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2010 lr4 battery has been weakening lately and eventually died tonight. Can someone provide me with instructions to do a battery swap? I have a spare red top available. Let me know!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn off ignition, wait at least 2 minutes before touching any battery post. Loosen and remove battery bracket, remove battery vent hose, disconnect negative lead, disconnect positive lead, carefully lift and remove old battery. Install new battery making sure not to accidentally pinch the vent hose or other wiring under the battery as you drop it onto the tray, connect positive and negative leads in that order, reattach and tighten bracket, connect vent hose... That's about it as far as the physical part. You may need to reenter date / time as well as reset the one-shot window and sunroof feature following a battery disconnect. Every other setting should be preserved if the swap takes a short amount of time.

Shop manual says you should also reset / recalibrate the battery monitoring system (BMS) module that's built into the LR4 whenever you replace an old/discharged battery with a new one. That's easily done with a diagnostic tool... You do have your IIDTool handy, right? :smile: If not, a dealer can run that routine for you... For a fee.

What type of Optima battery fits our cars? Didn't think they made a compatible size.

Last edited:

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response as usual, umbertob. I have a spare Optima red top that seems like it fits. I am not going to swap it because it's been sitting on the garage floor since I purchased it 3 years ago. :( I'll have to get it charged if I do decide to use it. Made an appointment at the dealership for service and battery swap this Friday so we'll see.

Off topic. Our warranty is 35k/5 years right? Does it mean which ever comes first or later?

Turn off ignition, wait at least 2 minutes before touching any battery post. Loosen and remove battery bracket, remove battery vent hose, disconnect negative lead, disconnect positive lead, carefully lift and remove old battery. Install new battery making sure not to accidentally pinch the vent hose or other wiring under the battery as you drop it onto the tray, connect positive and negative leads in that order, reattach and tighten bracket, connect vent hose... That's about it as far as the physical part. You may need to reenter date / time as well as reset the one-shot window and sunroof feature following a battery disconnect. Every other setting should be preserved if the swap takes a short amount of time.

Shop manual says you should also reset / recalibrate the battery monitoring system (BMS) module that's built into the LR4 whenever you replace an old/discharged battery with a new one. That's easily done with a diagnostic tool... You do have your IIDTool handy, right? :smile: If not, a dealer can run that routine for you... For a fee.

What type of Optima battery fits our cars? Didn't think they made a compatible size.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Battery is covered, but if you have a MY2010 you may be out of luck, regardless of your mileage, since the 4 years are probably up.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it was up last August. I do have extended warranty. Would that help?

Factory warranty is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Battery is covered, but if you have a MY2010 you may be out of luck, regardless of your mileage, since the 4 years are probably up.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the extended warranty. Battery may be considered "wear and tear", so probably not covered, but read the contract as some exclusionary policies could include it.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last thing... I am trying to jump start the car with a jumper box and it doesn't seem to work. The box is fully charged, plugged up to the battery. No go. Any ideas?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it's the battery and not a bad starter giving you grief? The jump starter I use (a Clore Jump-N-Carry unit) could revive the most dead of dead batteries without breaking a sweat.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called AAA and they used a jumper box as well. It worked just fine. My box was definitely charged full overnight and had successfully jumped cars in the past. Weird.

You sure it's the battery and not a bad starter giving you grief? The jump starter I use (a Clore Jump-N-Carry unit) could revive the most dead of dead batteries without breaking a sweat.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could have a small cranking amp battery box that you are trying to use to jump your LR4. AAA probably had a beefy unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV