LR3 Navigation Issues. Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burner6999

Reaction score
I have been having issues with my SatNav. It never saves the settings for anything. I had an issue with the alternator, but have since replaced it and have had no other problems besides the nav settings. It doesn't save anything. I change the view and the region and store waypoints and it all goes back to default on next start up. I have had my LR3 for about a year and it has always done this since I have owned it. Any ideas why it does this? Thanks in advance.

Tried the hard reset and it didn't change anything. It is weird because it has saved my home address and one of my marked points, but nothing else ever saves. If I change anything or add marked points it loses all the changes and reverts back to default settings and keeps only my home address and my one marked point from months ago.

Edit:Ok well I have some more information. It is saving my memory points just not where I saved them. I change the category names and they get reset. So it moves them to a different category. I took out the TSD and the Nav system under the seat. I check the plugs and saw no loose wires checked the voltages and they all seem good. The settings for the TSD stay. I also download some newer maps from Europe (Ilive in the USA) just to see if the software update would fix it and it didn't. I didn't want to pay $200 if I can fix this problem. I think it is either the ground or the 12v Batt wire that may be the problem. Any advice about other grounds to check or places to check them?

Seilars

Reaction score
Hey,

Although my problem is not identical as yours, I'm also experiencing issues with the navigation on my '08 LR3. Maybe there are some similarities.

My problem is that the navigation screen freezes, but only after a short stop - not after the vehicle has been shut down for a few hours, or after removing the fuse (no. 53(?)), or after a battery disconnect, or after a hard reset.
The screen freezes on either the "yes I agree to not push buttons while driving" screen, or completely bypasses that message and just freeze on the location of where the vehicle is parked.

Also, one thing is a little strange:
Like you it does not store the viewing. After the vehicle sits for a few hours and the navigation works after starting the vehicle, the view is different from when I shut it down...

When I drove it yesterday with the screen frozen on the vehicle's last location, after about 30 minutes the nav screen showed a message saying "navigation unavailable" for about 3 seconds before the navigation reset itself, then struggled a few minutes before determining the vehicle's location, and then worked just fine. Bizarre!

To me this seems like a firmware issue more than a wiring issue, simply because the system really works 100% once everything is reset.

There are multiple forum posts with people experiencing weird issues with their radios, and dealers apparently replaced head units under warranty. However, a few of those folks fixed the issue with a firmware flash/upgrade.

Anyone in the Seattle area own a Faultmate by chance!? Beer is on me :hello:

PS: How did you do the software update? Do you mean a firmware upgrade, or just a map software update? Would be interested in knowing how to do both...

PSPS:
I think it is either the ground or the 12v Batt wire that may be the problem
- What makes you think that?

Burner6999

Reaction score
The reason that I think this because the battery wire has a constant 12 volts. This is what makes it remember the settings. The fact that after the initial power that turns it on goes away, it still remembers the settings for a few minutes tells me that it is either losing power or ground and then forgets the settings. So once the capacitors are depleted of their remaining stored charge it causes the settings to be forgotten. I am thinking of adding another ground to see if it is able to keep the settings. If that doesn't work I will try adding a different 12 volt constant to see if this solves the problem. I will also trace the circuits on the PCB and see what I can determine. I will let every one know what I figure out.

Last edited:

Seilars

Reaction score
I like your reasoning!
Keep us posted.

Maybe this is a corrosion related issue after all. I don't have the wiring diagram, but am pretty sure the wires run under the left front door. I'll pull the plastic and have a peek in a couple of days to look for anything suspicious.

Burner6999

Reaction score
I give up. I think there is a hardware issue. All the voltages are fine and I have checked the grounds with no avail. I don't think I will ever purchase a new one given how expensive they are even used.

Seilars

Reaction score
Too bad.
I haven't doing as extensive research as you, with connecting new grounds and 12v constant, but after having had the problem for a few days now, it is really hard to figure out an exact repro of the issue. Sometimes the nav works fine after a short shutdown of the engine, and sometimes it doesn't work at all after a long break - totally inconsistent with the symptoms in my previous post.

I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue just yet, though.
Even when the screen is frozen I can still hear/feel the disc spinning inside the navigation unit under the drivers seat, at least for a few minutes before it goes dead. After a few minutes the unit seems to shut down, and it's impossible to eject the disc - which I guess could be due to a lack of power or ground.

It would be good to know if the "I agree to not enter an address when driving" screen is booted from the DVD or if it's in the brain of the system. Sometimes the screen freezes on this message, and if that message is stored on the DVD then the issue is likely related to the navigation unit. If, however, this message is stored somewhere else in the system, then the issue is unrelated to the navigation unit - possibly firmware related.

According to the HLDF Information Form, the Main CPU Application Version is from 04/06/2004. The Sub CPU Software Version is dated to 04/30/2004.
Don't know what to make of it, but pretty interesting since I have a 2008 model car...

Seilars

Reaction score
Update:

Bought a used navigation unit off eBay, swapped it with the old one, and voila - navigation back to normal.

The seller forgot to take out the navigation disc, so I ended up with a newer map than my old one. Score!! :biggrin:

Now, for how long will it work? Don't know. But the issue is not related to the wires, unless the wiring made my old unit go crazy and die prematurely...

It seems the navigation unit starts up when the vehicle is unlocked. Now, as you crank the key to start the vehicle it seems the power is temporarily cut off, and then reapplied when the engine is running. At least that's the case for the radio. Over time, maybe this little glitch of power loss to the unit can make it die prematurely? That's assuming the power IS in fact cut out, though. I'm not 100% certain that's the case.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72