7 MPG is not ok, please help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GroverDaRover

Reaction score
I know the disco is bad on gas mileage, but I am only getting like 7 MPG. Half my income is going to gas, it's killing me.

I have a 2003 Disco 2
I have some obvious problems:
Leak in tire, 2 o2 sensors are bad and I have a small oil leak.

I obviously need to get new tires.
Any suggestions on the o2 sensor. I am a cheap and poor bastard, but will spend what I have to in order to get my gas mileage better.

This is my first post, please feel free to redirect my question to a more proper place on the forum if I am in the wrong place or if this question has already been asked multiple times.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... start by cleaning your MAF sensor and changing air filter if needed. Make sure air filter lid is closed properly if it leaks it will give you more codes. Have your codes cleared. If you truly do have two bad O2 sensors the codes will come back. Call Nathan in my signature and he will send you out some O2 sensors at a good price.

Make sure you have at least 35 psi in all four tires 35-40 psi means rougher ride but better fuel economy.

When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? They may be on the way out as well and will cause bad fuel economy. If everything is good you should be getting around 16 mpg or better unless your racing from stop light to stop light.

GroverDaRover

Reaction score
That's some really good advice, thank you.
I just bought it a few months ago so I don't know about the spark plugs, but I will look into replace them when I can.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will say this replacing the wires are a PITA... Pain In The A** if you are new to the acronym. Unless you have small hands (just look where the coils are).

If you bought it a few months ago, I would also check and change as needed all fluids, including the Diffs and Transfer case.

Also how many miles on the Rover?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72