What is this part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proberts8

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
I have a Freelander 2 56 plate and I have been getting a knocking from the O/S/R wheel when going over speed bumps. I have completely emptied the boot, so that it is completely clear, but when I took it for a drive the knock was still there. Being a bit baffled, I checked under the car for any loose or broken parts like exhaust mounting etc, but all is solid. I then came across this rubber stopper on the shock absorber that I found loose on drivers rear but passenger rear was completely solid. I am now thinking that when going over the bumps, it is hitting the shock absorber and making this metallic knocking as there is nothing else it can be. Can anybody please tell me what the purpose of the part circled red is in the picture?
It would appear that it is part of the shock absorber unit itself and cannot be replaced. Your help is appreciated, cheers.

Attachments

• stopper.jpg
    stopper.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 39

Stewmeat2

Reaction score
Well, that looks like a muffler hangar mount. I'm wondering if you somehow bashed it once and that tore loose and wedged itself in the wheel well...?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV