LR3 Oil Change - Anything to watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Land Rover world and I have a 2005 LR3 HSE. with 51,000 miles on it. I purchased it two weeks ago and I would like to give her the first oil change. I've always performed my own oil changes but I am a little hesitant to do this on the LR3. I'm fairly proficient under the hood but is there anything that I need to look out for? Any tricks or tips? Last thing I want is a trip to the dealership because I make a stupid mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club. 8 quarts may be bigger than your typical catch basin. It also shoot out a fair bit laterally, so shift it appropriately. I use a floor jack to move the skid plates.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah dont let it pour all over your face...im experienced at this. Had my face towards the drain plug when i unscrewed it and there is alot of pressure when it pours out:)

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Land Rover world and I have a 2005 LR3 HSE. with 51,000 miles on it. I purchased it two weeks ago and I would like to give her the first oil change. I've always performed my own oil changes but I am a little hesitant to do this on the LR3. I'm fairly proficient under the hood but is there anything that I need to look out for? Any tricks or tips? Last thing I want is a trip to the dealership because I make a stupid mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

Congrats on your purchase & welcome to the site!

The oil change is just like any other. Nothing special, with the exception of the inability to reset the oil change monitor with out an electronic tool.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, Yes the first time can be a little surprising. You might want to put your catch pan about a foot infront of the drain plug and I would advise you not pull that bolt out while laying on your back from the front.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah dont let it pour all over your face...im experienced at this. Had my face towards the drain plug when i unscrewed it and there is alot of pressure when it pours out:)

+1 The oil will shoot out of the pan a bout 12". Yes, you will get covered.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 is one of the easier vehicles to change oil on, in my opinion. In fact, I just did my second change this morning. As others have mentioned, large catch basin is a must (made that mistake my first time, no spill but damn close). After draining but before I reinstall the plug I always pour a little fresh oil in up top just to flush out any sediment. I also like to fill the new filter most of the way with oil before reinstalling just to be sure there are no issues on start up. Floor jack for the skid plates here as well. Drain plug 25 Nm / 18 Ft Lbs - Filter 18 Nm / 13 Ft Lbs (source: AllData).

aarosiro4002

Reaction score
So is there a way to reset the oil monitor without that tool? Or do you need to go to the dealer for it?

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 doesn't have a reset oil monitor?? I use a ultraguage the number one best thing I've bought for my previous Disco 2 and now I use it in my LR3. It tells me the engine temp, oil monitor, rpms, etc... I got it for $50 from a member on one of these Landrover forums. I have it mounted on one of my air vents.

Attachments

• ultra_gauge.JPG
    ultra_gauge.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72