LR3 SE '06 navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Hello.

New owner here :) recently got a '06 LR3 SE V8. so far loving it :)
it had a transmission jerking issue, which after reading this forum was successfully resolved, so "thank you" to everyone who shared the information.

Currently i'm debating the installation of OEM navigation/bluetooth and a backup camera. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a good stores where to buy one (new if possible, or like new) as well as instructions on how to install it.
For some reason i don't think i want a 3rd party unit and would like to keep the truck original.

Thank you.

Trynian

Reaction score
It is not so simple to install factory nav. There is a write up over on the Disco3 UK website but it involves new wiring looms under the dash, new fiber optic lines, dvd unit under the passenger seat ($4k new) and of course the nav screen ($1,800 new). You also must have the hi-line stereo unit already.

Also the factory back-up camera I think only came out with the LR4. At least I don't see a part for it on the LR3s all the way up to 2009 unless it was in a different place than the lift gate as it is on the LR4s.

Last edited:

ThinkDima

Reaction score
Thank you for simple explanation.
When I tried researching this, the results were mixed and I didn't get a clear picture of what's envolved.
Looks like "factory" is not a good option.

I'll have to dig around to see if there are any other solutions.

Thank you again.

brandon11496

Reaction score
I have also thought about this on my lr3 V6 base, and it honestly is more work then its worth, i am considering putting an ipad in place of the head unit tho!

Trynian

Reaction score
Garmin makes a pretty good glass screeen 3D unit that is close to about the size of the factory unit for about $400 and fits well in the cubby of the the factory screen. Much better operation than the antiquated factory unit and easily updated.

I think there is even a dash frame I have seen out there to make it look as part of the dash but you will have to search around for that.

FWIW, most of my off-road buddy's that have the factory nav do not use it and have a Garmin stuck to their windshield.

Trynian

Reaction score
I have also thought about this on my lr3 V6 base, and it honestly is more work then its worth, i am considering putting an ipad in place of the head unit tho!

I have seen several people use an ipad mounted in the cubby area or elsewhere for their navigation.

wheeler

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2007 LR3 HSE with factory Nav. I am accustomed to navigation on iPhone/iPad with live traffic updating etc., and by comparison the OEM navigation is fairly unappealing. (I'm even perturbed by having to press the liability nag screen Agree button at every start!)

I have an iPad Mini 4G LTE and it sits nicely directly in front of the factory nav screen. But like the OP, I need a back up camera to display.

My local car radio shop has quoted me $1200+ to get a backup camera to display to the factory nav screen (using Alpine camera license plate frame + NAV-TV GVIF-RR box at Nav computer brain) -- the cost is really unappealing.

I've found one option for using the iPad as a display for a backup camera (4ucam.com) but not a lot of positive feedback. Getting camera and iPad to find each other on same WiFi network takes 15 seconds, etc.

I am juggling the best solution for nav+backup camera in LR3. Additional suggestions appreciated!

ThinkDima

Reaction score
I do have a couple of Garmin units just sitting around. One fits well, the other is a smaller one, so not as good.
i'll have to double check to see if either one has bluetooth (car didn't come with it) and see if it performs well. if it does, then i'll probably figure out a way to mount it for now.

the problem with ipad/iphone imo - some areas have a very bad signal, and they become useless. Granted, in the city it's not a problem, but once outside the city limits it'*****/miss. Besides, i wouldn't want my windows smashed just because someone decides they want a new toy :)

as for the camera - the more i drive it the more i'm getting used to it, so it's really a "nice to have" at this point and not worth the money quoted by others.

i'd rather spend the money on some other upgrades, but so far haven't found anything in the car worth changing :) i like the look of LR4 headlights, but it looks like a big/expensive job as well...

Cheers!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin / kenwood solution that includes backup camera capabilities in my signature line. If I were to do it again today, I think I would also go with an ipad/nexus mini solution and forgo the backup camera. The backup sensors are good enough. I would really miss my under truck offroad cam and touch screen aux switches - ok maybe I would install this again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi