4.6 03 Discovery clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumples

Reaction score
EDIT: For the record, the sound is exactly this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF0gbJM8fjA
I have replaced all 16 lifters with OEM Rover lifters, and it did NOT solve the problem. Occasionally it is quieter than normal, sometimes it is completely gone and other times it is just steady continuous tapping.
I will try putting in a 180 temp tstat soon as well to see if that helps any.

After awhile of looking I ended up purchasing an 03 Disco. Had a mechanic come out with me to check the car. It's got 120k miles but it's in pristine shape, save for one thing.

There's a clicking in the top of the engine block that clicks steadily, increasing when I rev the engine. Once I'm in higher gears you can't really hear it. The mechanic told me he's reasonably sure the lifters were dirty and the car just needs an engine flush / oil change and to run it for a bit.

What do you guys think?

I'm hoping I can get this resolved without too much trouble. I'm willing to do as much as I can before having to replace the lifters. However I won't be driving it for a couple of months as I'm leaving the state but I'd like to get the issue resolved within the next few weeks. Thanks!

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4.6 that clicks is a common problem. It is too bad you didn't take out someone who knows about Rovers. When these engines click it is either because of a valve train noise caused by a bad cam and warn lifters or a slipped cylinder sleeve, neither of which is good.
That being said, how mechanical are you?
I will send you my number, you might want to call me before any steps to repair it are started.

Fumples

Reaction score
A 4.6 that clicks is a common problem. It is too bad you didn't take out someone who knows about Rovers. When these engines click it is either because of a valve train noise caused by a bad cam and warn lifters or a slipped cylinder sleeve, neither of which is good.
That being said, how mechanical are you?
I will send you my number, you might want to call me before any steps to repair it are started.

Props to you man, helped out a ton.

I'm going to try by replacing some of the fluids using the ones Mike recommended and will share the results on here.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what have you done yet, what is the oil pressure numbers {4}

Fumples

Reaction score
So what have you done yet, what is the oil pressure numbers {4}

I haven't really had time to work on it too much as I'm gearing up for my next semester of college.

I've gotten the power steering fluid replaced, I'm sending in the car this weekend for an oil pressure test and another thorough inspection by a Rover tech. Particularly the transfer case, which appears to be a little damp with oil.

The A/C motor runs fine on fan speed 3, but when I move it to 4 or 5 it starts to vibrate loudly. I'm going to check the filter for any blockage, because it works perfectly until 4 and 5 speeds, the fifth speed being quieter than the fourth for some reason. Maybe one of the fans is out of whack too, going to go under glove box and take apart the motor when I have time.

I'm going to work on getting a transmission service after oil pressure test and inspection.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you quit paying people to do these little jobs when you have an internal failure with your valve train.

Fumples

Reaction score
I would suggest you quit paying people to do these little jobs when you have an internal failure with your valve train.

I'm going to have it fixed as soon as possible. For now, I'm not able to take it to a tech so I've been performing most maintenance in my driveway. I understand it's paramount to fix it as soon as possible but I'm only able to do as much as I have time for. This weekend I'm going to get a quote on the repair and hopefully get that finished as soon as possible. Until then I'm following your "major service" guide as closely as I'm able to so I dont have to do those tasks after the valve train is fixed.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you going to get a quote on an internal engine repair without opening up the engine. So far none of the people you have talked to have not known a thing about Rovers and the testing involved. Without the proper information you will not get a good repair or a proper price for what is needed.

Fumples

Reaction score
How are you going to get a quote on an internal engine repair without opening up the engine. So far none of the people you have talked to have not known a thing about Rovers and the testing involved. Without the proper information you will not get a good repair or a proper price for what is needed.

I've taken the vehicle to the shop today. They will open up the engine this weekend and take a look at it. We're also going to install an oil pressure gauge. :smile:

Once I get oil pressure readings and a quote I'll reply to this thread!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must do an oil pressure test prior to tearing the engine down not after it has been opened up. Has this mechanic ever opened up a Rover engine, what will he be looking for and how much is he charging you to tear it down?
I am only asking because so far you have been doing all your work some what out of order or guidance as to what to look for.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick