changing coolant - drain and refill a week apart - is that ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cornel

Reaction score
Hello,

On a Disco II 2002, I replaced alternator, thermostat, serpentine belt, and drained the coolant, all about a week ago. After draining the coolant, I flushed the system and the radiator with tap water with a garden hose.
Today is the time to refill the system with new coolant - acdelco dex cool concentrate with distilled water.

Being a week since the engine stood dry without coolant, is there anything that should be done extra to just refilling it and bleeding for air, ie. the usual?

Many thanks,

Cornel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Best way to bleed the system is to have it running with the cap off, after you have filled it as far as you can. (remove the bleed air screw to assist in filling) replace bleed air screw, leave cap off and start engine with heat on high, run for at least 30 minutes and fill as needed.

valcrowle

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to butt in on this post, but I am not that good at forums, and I have a coolant problem, started losing water, a lot,,,so took it to the garage, they tightened up and replaced all the jubilee clips, checked all hoses, put it on a head pressure test for two hours, and said that it was all they could do,,, oh and filled it with red coolant so you could see if it leaked,,, well it still is,,,, can,t see any thing, now drips on the ground or any thing,,, temp gauge is steady in the middle position, engine is sweet as a nut,,, can,t fathom this one out, any body else had this problem, or can give me some advice,,, it is a 1998 disco 2
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Pull your plugs one at a time and check to see which one is stupid clean, a sign of burning antifreeze.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV