center stack rattling/squeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The soft touch trim surrounding the climate control is squeaking on uneven surface. I tried to press on it and it felt looser than it should. Anyone have this issue? the squeaking is annoying the heck out of me...

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another squeak/tick thread here recently but I don't think it was related to that bezel you mentioned. I have a tick that is really bugging me. I always hear it when I'm driving alone but can't really localize it from my driver's seat. Then of course when someone is in the passenger seat, it either goes away or they can't locate it either. Gonna make my son drive us home from Boston today so I can sit there and figure it out. :stupid:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i finally found what's making the noise - it's actually coming from the hinges of the upper glove compartment. Not sure if I should use wd40 to lube the hinges since it seems like it's mostly plastic?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also be hesitant to use anything that would potentially act as a solvent, attract dust/grit, or interact in a bad way with plastic. How about powdered graphite lubricant?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the two rubber bump stops on the top edges of the glove compartment are worn / squished, leaving just enough play for the compartment cover to cause the squeak from the hinges? My hinges squeal / creak a little as well when I open the compartment, but they are otherwise quiet when it's closed.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad theory. I tried varying levels of pressure on both glove compartment doors during a prior diagnostic attempt without any improvement. I think mine is due to some type of flex or fatigue in the panels. That said, the concept of a shim solution is definitely on my short list of fixes...once I find it.

pabs406

Reaction score
I've used wd40 on my tailgate and center console where the cooler is located. Works great. Squeak is gone when applying pressure on the center cooler console, and I don't have to slam the tail gate anymore.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used wd40 on my tailgate and center console where the cooler is located. Works great. Squeak is gone when applying pressure on the center cooler console, and I don't have to slam the tail gate anymore.

Where precisely did u apply the WD40 for the tailgate please?

pabs406

Reaction score
Directly onto the metal part that receives the latch. I don't know the exact term, but it looks like a metal hook.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA