Wet Carpets and Headliner - Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
So if the sunroof does leak doesnt the headliner usually show signs of water staining?

Mine did not show any water stains, despite the fact there was a substantial volume of water up there.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if it's possible to test the drains individually with the sunroof open? I'm wondering if I can squirt a small amount of water at each one and see it come out under the vehicle somewhere? Pulling the headliner does not sound like fun.

Michael99b

Reaction score
@ndamico...my headliner eventually showed signs of water staining. The dealer replaced the headliner and carpet. Supposedly they tied down the rear drain tubes somehow so that they do not gets humps in them allowing the water to back up. Still not certain if the fix has worked as we have not had any significant rain.

In NJ this would definitely qualify under the lemon law as "...the defect substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle." I'm sure every state is different. I'm hoping the issue is fixed and I do not need to pursue a replacement or refund under the lemon law.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We havent had any rain and i dont know how much water i would have to blast at the sunroof to actually test the functionality of the drains.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We havent had any rain and i dont know how much water i would have to blast at the sunroof to actually test the functionality of the drains.

Mine leaked after every modest rainfall. You won't have to park your vehicle under a waterfall to verify that it leaks.

DonnieLR4

Reaction score
@ndamico...my headliner eventually showed signs of water staining. The dealer replaced the headliner and carpet. Supposedly they tied down the rear drain tubes somehow so that they do not gets humps in them allowing the water to back up. Still not certain if the fix has worked as we have not had any significant rain.

In NJ this would definitely qualify under the lemon law as "...the defect substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle." I'm sure every state is different. I'm hoping the issue is fixed and I do not need to pursue a replacement or refund under the lemon law.

I think Michael99b may be right, however, every LR owner should acquaint themselves with the "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act". Lemon Law is great if you have a persistent problem. If the problem is deemed to be relatively insignificant, and does not meet the criteria for Lemon Law, then the Mag-Moss warranty act may be a good option to explore. The threshold of inconvenience and problem severity is lower than Lemon Law standard. If you're successful, then cash settlement from LR is likely. Believe me, I know.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
Well 5 days into ownership of my 2013 LR4 and during an extended period of rain yesterday I noticed water splashed all over my passenger side door panel and seat. I was reversing and hit the brakes when I saw this, which caused a stream of water to pour out of the plastic "airbag" plug and from around the right side sun visor arm. Ugh. I took it in to the dealership this morning and the tech disassembled the A-pillar and showed me how the sunroof drain tube comes out behind some foam insulation in the passenger-side engine air intake vent. Theres a notch in the foam insulation that is supposed to allow clearance for water to flow down to another tube that exits behind the front wheel. There's not enough space in this notch however, so the solution is to take a razor blade and make a bigger notch for more clearance in the foam. It gets clogged easily and backs up, causing water to overflow in the sunroof and go wherever it can. He said he's been doing this fix since the LR3's. Great design LR.

Then on my way home I look over my shoulder and see a large (1ft by 8") water stain just above the passenger-side C-pillar and a bit on the C-pillar itself. Great. I'm not sure how this happened because it is well "uphill" of the sunroof leak. Is it a leaking 2nd row glass panel? I don't know, but I'm taking it back to the dealership for them to investigate.

I expect such things from my convertible sports cars (even then it's annoying), but this is unacceptable from a modern, "rugged," all-weather, all-terrain vehicle that has had the same problems for what, 10 years now? Totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's likely that any lr4 owner who happens to be in an extended rainstorm will probably get these leaks. I expect it to happen to me if I move out of the desert known as California. Who knows, maybe El Niño will bring out more reports on this!
One is tempted to proactively address this before the water damage, but who wants to start taking apart water entrance areas?
Also it's not yet clear on what "fix" has actually worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elrocko

Reaction score
My 2010 has to sleep outside, albeit in the Arizona desert. The water I noticed in the passenger footwell after a rainstorm the other day has me thinking I'll be posting to this thread soon with a similar story. Joyous Land Rovers!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This situation is ridiculous. I'd like to think that as a design engineer I will be able to come up with a solution when I have to, but you have to imagine LR has put resources into this considered the warranty cost.

Considering I garage my car, I'd like to think I'm in the clear, but that's probably being naive since I only garage it at home. But every time I wash it I check to see that water drains properly and at a good flow rate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA