2015 side step -- really a side impact safety feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I am not sure why the majority don't like the 2015+ steps. I think they look great. They certainly do on white LR4's !

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like someone tacked a couple ironing boards to the sides of the truck.

I think you may be the first person I have ever heard on this forum praising their looks!

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how when viewed from the side, they look like just a floating straight line. Clean and no bull. And on a white/silver car it "matches" the paint, kinda look. I like that. I also like that they don't protrude too much, which doesn't look good to me (sorry to all you fans of aftermarket ones that do, not a fan myself of that) and also that stinks for getting pants dirty cuz you'll never remember to stand far back enough before hoisting yourself (or the kids) up.

Overall I won't give them an A+ but they get a thumbs up.

pabs406

Reaction score
Neezer. I agree 100% with you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 55

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like someone tacked a couple ironing boards to the sides of the truck.

Surfrider77, I agree with you 100%. The running boards are just another reason I replaced my LR3 with a CPO 2013 instead of a new LR4. They get in the way when going off road, but if you only take your LR4 to the mall, they do offer some door ding protection.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides, nothing wrong with ironing boards. Want proof? How many households have at least one in em? Exactly ;-) lol

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
I have heard people in this thread say that they don't want to remove the side steps because they might be held liable. Well, it would be a tough trick to hit someone with the side of your truck hard enough that the side steps would make any difference. If the side step gets hit, it probably wasn't your fault. There is a crumple zone of honey-comb like aluminum under there, but also as stated, not many other SUV's, sedans or pickups on the road have this protection.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter who is at fault. Like it or not, and however unlikely the scenario, your vehicle is in violation of Federal regulations if you knowingly remove those side steps. If you are involved in a side impact collision, I can guarantee you the insurance (yours or the other party's) will not overlook that when it's time to settle...

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now that everyone's opinion has settled...lol...can the stock step be removed and install aftermarket sliders?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut