2015 LR4 Car and Driver article

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read that last night. Seems LR tried to keep the '4 fresh by dropping in a new engine, and saved some money by using a similar power plant to the RRS. Just couldn't drop more aluminum into the LR4 body, so the loss in power plus zero weight savings = slow truck.

Happy I've got the V8 under my hood.

Exactly! Well said.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't driven the v8, but I certainly do NOT feel my scv6 is slow.
Has every bit of power I've needed this far.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly the dilemma I am facing. I put $5K in repairs into the LR3 last year, $2K so far this year and now the AC is cutting out. Being 7 years old with 90K miles I am considering replacing it.

The problem is that I don't love the current LR4. Having spent lots of time with 2014 loaner LR4's, I know I can live with the SC6 but prefer the V8. Not a fan of the rotary shift knob, a gear shift is easier to operate offroad in manual mode than paddle shifters. Where did all the little center console storage spots go? Not a fan of that eco stop-start either. And who wants those goofy running boards?

Not sure I want to wait and buy a first year new Discovery either. The order time could be long and who knows how many new model bugs need to be worked out.

So maybe I'll grab a used 2013 I have my eye on. Just wish it wasn't 1100 miles away.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. A couple of the points are spot on, and a few that are typical car rag nonsense. I wish the car still had a V8 but the SC6 has never felt down on power to us. Loaded to the gills and driving up steep grades at highway speeds at over 11,000 feet, I have never felt the need for more power. I am a big fan of more grunt but honestly the car drives beautifully. I've never felt the trans struggle to drop down a gear either, very quick and seamless. I agree about the fuel economy and start/stop, no to little improvement for us in normal driving. I also suspect the weight gain came largely from the start stop system, running boards and related supporting structural additions. I've also never been bothered by the handling and don't want something that drives like an X5, seriously.

This car is very unique and hope it stays that way for the next gen. Just fix some of the flaws around the infotainment system (or better yet get rid of it for ApplyPlay), longer wearing brakes, and improved reliability. NA engine would be nice (gas or diesel) but I'm not holding my breath.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with colorover. (Maybe because we're both in Colorado?) I have never felt disappointed with the SCV6. Not that the additional HP and torque wouldn't be nice. But with my driving style I simply don't notice it. I could have done without the start/stop but I've gotten over it. I'm mixed on the shift know thingy. After a year I've gotten used to it. But I would have preferred a lever. Once in a while the shifters on the steering wheel are nice. But, as was pointed out, when you are off road (when you likely use them the most) the wheel can be spinning back and forth like crazy and there is no way to know where the paddles are and which is up vs down.

That said, these are things I have adapted to.

As for an improved, LR4, there will not be a 2016 LR4. It is Discovery time. And, though there may be many of the internal features that they keep or keep similar, the exterior will look like the Discovery Sport only larger. And I would absolutely expect new model issues for the first couple of years.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with colorover. (Maybe because we're both in Colorado?) I have never felt disappointed with the SCV6. Not that the additional HP and torque wouldn't be nice. But with my driving style I simply don't notice it. I could have done without the start/stop but I've gotten over it. I'm mixed on the shift know thingy. After a year I've gotten used to it. But I would have preferred a lever. Once in a while the shifters on the steering wheel are nice. But, as was pointed out, when you are off road (when you likely use them the most) the wheel can be spinning back and forth like crazy and there is no way to know where the paddles are and which is up vs down.

That said, these are things I have adapted to.

As for an improved, LR4, there will not be a 2016 LR4. It is Discovery time. And, though there may be many of the internal features that they keep or keep similar, the exterior will look like the Discovery Sport only larger. And I would absolutely expect new model issues for the first couple of years.

The blower certainly compensates for altitude to some degree which the atmospheric V8 could not, so that helps us.

I though the new Disco was going to come out in 2016 as a 2017? Just thought there would be one more year of the 4. Will be sad to see it go whenever it happens, end of an era.

tucsontom

Reaction score
I ordered my LR4 about 3 weeks ago - it does not arrive until late July. The dealer says it is unchanged but it goes in the books as a 2016 LR4. My order sheet states that as well. Regardless - I was debating about a new vehicle and then I heard that this is the last year of production - so it got me over to the dealer sooner than later. I have zero interest in the next LR4. I guess the statistics show that most buyers don't use them off-road and like a more "modern" sleek look. They will probably sell more but lose the segment that wants it for what it for what it was built for. Truly - the end of an era - as you say.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72