Picking up new LR4--what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StillDisco

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm picking up a 2016 (not a 2016.5) LR4 HSE from a dealer an hour or so away where a friend of mine is a salesman. It has the Climate Comfort, Protection and Vision Assist packages. It does not have the HD package, which is the one thing I really wanted, but because of the (relative) deal I'm getting on it and that fact that it's the color combo I wanted I really can't complain at all. I had wanted a V8 model, but with the way numbers were it just didn't make sense to buy used. I'm very happy to be getting this Discovery before the LR5 overtakes it--I'm sure that will be a great truck in its own right, but I like the more classic look and the capability. I'm coming from a vehicle that frequently got stuck in the muddy red clay in my part of the world. I'm looking forward to that not being an issue.

What should I know about my new car before taking delivery that you wish you'd known?

Also, my truck does not have a tow hitch receiver. My salesman told me to buy the OEM one, but not from them. He should I should avoid aftermarket options. Looks like it's $580 from Atlantic British is the cheapest? That seems hefty--but I guess that's what I'm getting into. Do they ever come up used?

Do you use 93 octane? I have read over this topic discussed briefly on this forum and will probably run premium; probably ethanol free?

Thanks all,

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Re the hitch receiver and other accessories, a lot of people recommend this west coast dealer for good pricing. They have the receiver for $525:

http://landrover.niello.com/accessories.phpaction=details&catalog_id=4634&category=202

Search the forum for a few threads on the relatively new Rhino Hitch also. And yes the OEM receiver occasionally comes up used but it'***** or miss.

I treat my 2011 LR4 to premium every now and then but mostly if feeds on regular and mid-grade fuel.

Enjoy your new ride!!

PS: Looks like a full ebay listing is available for the aforementioned Rhino Hitch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CUSTOM-...EIVER-LR3-LR4-RANGE-ROVER-SPORT-/231872453194

Last edited:

StillDisco

Reaction score
Perez,

Thanks so much for your reply--very helpful. I will look into the Rhino hitch but will probably go with the OEM one from the vendor you mentioned.

Does your Rover feel any different with the cheaper gas, or do you see worse efficiency? I guess your V8 is likely better able to handle non-premo gas also...

Thanks!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't track MPGs very closely. More of a gut feel about my gas consumption. Overall, this vehicle certainly doesn't sip fuel by any stretch, however. I probably average around 17mpg with my driving style. For comparison's sake I will share that I drive only about 10-15 miles/day around the neighborhood (work from home) and I take several 800-2000 mile road trips throughout the year. Logged about 20K miles/year over past two years of ownership. Landy seems to be running fine on its current diet.

When do you take delivery or have you already? Be sure to post up some photos!

StillDisco

Reaction score
Tomorrow if I can break away from work to get down there; failing that, Saturday!

Fret not, there will be pictures :)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ha ha! Note Rule #1. How many threads are there on tires for 20" wheels? And as for Rule #6, I often wave to Land Rovers. But increasingly in my area they seem to be driven by people with their noses in the air - or in their phone. Which, BTW, suggests yet another rule: Thou shalt not text and drive! (Unless you are on a narrow shelf road and no one else is in the vehicle with you in which case you deserve what you get.)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't track MPGs very closely. More of a gut feel about my gas consumption. Overall, this vehicle certainly doesn't sip fuel by any stretch, however. I probably average around 17mpg with my driving style. For comparison's sake I will share that I drive only about 10-15 miles/day around the neighborhood (work from home) and I take several 800-2000 mile road trips throughout the year. Logged about 20K miles/year over past two years of ownership. Landy seems to be running fine on its current diet.

When do you take delivery or have you already? Be sure to post up some photos!

I have a very similar driving profile to cperez though most of it is at 6,000' and higher. I have always done high test (nearly always Shell V-Power) but when I filled up last night and realized I was paying 30 cents more per gallon I began to wonder if I should cheat once in a while. For the last few hundred miles I have averaged 18.4 MPG. I have the SCV6.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you live keep an eye on Craigslist for a hitch. I picked a used one up for $250 from a Range Rover owner who never used it.

StillDisco

Reaction score

Ha, this is fantastic!
I'm glad my 2016 has 19"s and I'm avoiding #1, sounds like the remainder of the LR4s will all have 'dubs'.

Fortunately I probably will not need a hitch immediately (but will within 3 months), so I'll be on the lookout. I will post a wanted ad here, and obviously if any of y'all want to sell me one shoot me a message.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV