Slamming Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried a search but could not find...

I have to slam the upper tailgate to get it to shut. The manual says it is a softclose door. Mine has never soft closed. Am I missing something?

jim6090

Reaction score
You have to slam it. No such thing as a LR4 soft close tailgate. I have not slammed it a number of times only to bring a dash light.

pabs406

Reaction score
Try using WD40. I've used it on the tailgate and you don't have to slam it anymore. Also used WD40 in the center console where the cooler is located. It used to have an annoying squeak when you rest your arm on top of it. So far so good.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen one with it but it is in the owners manual so it must be true...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waitaminute, when did we start reading manuals in such detail?!? Is this the same manual that says you can use the CommandShift paddles while in Drive, but there is no such option to enable that feature anywhere? I remember my old 2006 Sport's manual was full of inaccurate info on non-existent features of the climate control system, yanked from the full size 2006 Range Rover's manual in error. I bet someone got careless when putting together the 2016 manual of the LR4 and copied and pasted stuff that doesn't belong.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always have to slam my upper tailgate. It's especially a problem if all doors and windows are closed. Seems the positive pressure easily stops the gate from closing without a forceful slam.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying I can use my command shift paddles too..:biggrin:

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Tried a search but could not find...

I have to slam the upper tailgate to get it to shut. The manual says it is a softclose door. Mine has never soft closed. Am I missing something?

What funny timing. I JUST got my LR4. When they delivered the vehicle to me the sales representative slammed the tailgate twice, made a comment, and moved along. At the end of the demo he again commented on it and he cautioned me to pay attention to it. After a few days I noted that I pretty much had to slam it more than once about half the time to get a good closure on it.

I took the LR4 back to the dealership and showed it to their service manager. They immediately recognized that was not normal and offered to correct it. He agreed that was clearly a warranty issue. They sent it out to a body shop as "...they are the experts at making doors and panels fit right." I picked it up a couple of days later and it closes smoothly and snugly now. He voiced concern that it had occured but after a small tuning of the mechanisms the problem was solved.

I also asked him about the soft-close feature and he replied that the terminology "soft close" is very specific and several Land Rover products offer some version of a soft close door but the LR4 platform does and never has. He said Land Rover has been known to make small changes on the fly with vehicles sold but he had never seen that feature on an LR4. He told me the LR4 tailgate simply does t have the mechanism he would expect to see in a product with their soft-close feature.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using WD40. I've used it on the tailgate and you don't have to slam it anymore. Also used WD40 in the center console where the cooler is located. It used to have an annoying squeak when you rest your arm on top of it. So far so good.

Thank you...I was on a long trip yesterday and the arm rest on top of the cooler was squeaking the whole time. I need to lube mine as well.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had problems closing the front doors and the tailgate on my 2015 LR4 right after delivery. Seemed like I had to use too much force to get them to latch. I had to go back to the dealer a few weeks after delivery and told them about the problem. They lubed the door latches and tailgate latch and they latched the first time all the time. I have had to lube them several times since and all is fine. WD40 works but doesn't last as long as white lithium grease.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72