road trip and transfer case skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-lr

Reaction score
this has probably been beaten to death over here but thought I would ask anyways... I did do a brief search ....

we are planning a road trip to Sedona , AZ end of may and while there, we plan on doing a few off road trails around that area. IS anybody here familiar with that area and have any recommendations on which trails would be good to experience??

I have a 2013 LR4 and I consider myself neither a novice nor an expert at offroading. I have no experience in rock crawling neither do I plan on doing anything on those lines. looking at doing some light trails, maybe shallow streams and some offroad hill climbs. any pointers welcome.

Also, anybody would recommend a transfer case skid plate if I AM NOT ROCK CRAWLING?? from what I have searched on here - tactical rovers has good reviews on their skid plates and seems like their transfer case skid plate is bolt on.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely try running Broken Arrow and Soldier's Pass in Sedona. They are touristy (watch out for the Pink Jeep tours constantly streaming through...), but so very scenic and fun, you need to experience them - they are next to each other in Sedona, you can do both in a few hours with stops here and there to take in the amazing views.

Here is a good list of trails from last year's WNLRR we held in Sedona. http://www.wnlrr.com/index.php/about-wnlrr/trail-list In addition to the two above, I also ran Red Rock Powerline and Oak Creek Homestead, liked them both, especially the latter. Despite the description, none of these trails are really "difficult" difficult (Smasher Canyon excepted), at least by Southern California standards, and can easily be done by a stock LR4 with no side steps or running boards, with some careful wheel placement in a few tricky spots.

I don't have a transfer case plate, and I rock crawl often... I do have rock sliders and a fuel tank plate. Why would you want a x-fer case plate if you don't plan on rock crawling?

k-lr

Reaction score
Definitely try running Broken Arrow and Soldier's Pass in Sedona. They are touristy (watch out for the Pink Jeep tours constantly streaming through...), but so very scenic and fun, you need to experience them - they are next to each other in Sedona, you can do both in a few hours with stops here and there to take in the amazing views.

Here is a good list of trails from last year's WNLRR we held in Sedona. http://www.wnlrr.com/index.php/about-wnlrr/trail-list In addition to the two above, I also ran Red Rock Powerline and Oak Creek Homestead, liked them both, especially the latter. Despite the description, none of these trails are really "difficult" difficult (Smasher Canyon excepted), at least by Southern California standards, and can easily be done by a stock LR4 with no side steps or running boards, with some careful wheel placement in a few tricky spots.

I don't have a transfer case plate, and I rock crawl often... I do have rock sliders and a fuel tank plate. Why would you want a x-fer case plate if you don't plan on rock crawling?

first off...... have always been a big fan of your rig ....haven't been on here in a while .... ur ride's awesome.... ours is a white LR4 HSE LUX but without the black pack (wife rejected it) and without the extended leather (I rejected it...'cause I am the one maintaining it)....lol....

Those are the trails that I was looking at .... so that's awesome.... ours is bone stock so we don't have any rocksliders or any additional protection other than what comes from the factory. I have looked at some videos of the broken arrow trail and plan on venturing out and trying it until I start feeling that it may hurt the truck.... my only concern was the "steps" or whatever they call them... those look to be the most difficult part with that exposed slick rock. I have cooper LTZ's on mine right now....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, the steps (I think they call it the Devil's Staircase?) just look intimidating because they are so steep. Unless you are doing Broken Arrow in reverse - I don't recommend it, due to the traffic coming the opposite way... - you will be going downhill. Keep your foot firmly planted on the brake pedal all the way - don't rely on HDC as the angle is just too steep and you'll gain dangerous momentum in a split second - and follow the black tire tracks left by gazillions of trucks before you on the slick rock, very slowly but surely you will be at the bottom without any problems, plus it's a great photo op of your truck for someone at the end of the staircase. :smile: Just make sure nobody follows you until you are ALL THE WAY down, in case their brakes malfunction.

You'll love Sedona.

P1000474-X3.jpg

P1000483-X3.jpg

Last edited:

k-lr

Reaction score
Nah, the steps (I think they call it the Devil's Staircase?) just look intimidating because they are so steep. Unless you are doing Broken Arrow in reverse - I don't recommend it, due to the traffic coming the opposite way... - you will be going downhill. Keep your foot firmly planted on the brake pedal all the way - don't rely on HDC as the angle is just too steep and you'll gain dangerous momentum in a split second - and follow the black tire tracks left by gazillions of trucks before you on the slick rock, very slowly but surely you will be at the bottom without any problems, plus it's a great photo op of your truck for someone at the end of the staircase. :smile: Just make sure nobody follows you until you are ALL THE WAY down, in case their brakes malfunction.

You'll love Sedona.

P1000474-X3.jpg

P1000483-X3.jpg

thx man!!! really looking forward to it......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV