02 Freelander - Gas Smell/leak on Cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrsats

Reaction score
Great to find this site, lots of good information but I have a problem with my 02 freelander, did a thermostat repair/replace to solve the dredded leaky thermostat pipe, but I think I might of screwed something else up.

Since then when the temperature falls below -10c, I get in and can smell gas coming in the cabin, I can see gas collecting on top of the head, but cannot tell where its coming from, but once the car warms up, nothing, it burns off the gas on the head and stops leaking, so I figure one of two things. A) the injector seal either to the fuel rail or into the motor is leaking and as the engine warms up, metal expands and seals; or
B) I cracked an injector, but that does not make sense as should it not leak all the time then, not just when its cold?

Anyhow; any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I would like to fix before it turns cold, unfortunately that's the only time it leaks... :help:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My thought is find it with some fuel die or a gas sniffer... or something fast before you have a fire on your hands... unless you want to ask your insurance for a new vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut