Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Specification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many LR documents found here and on other sites, including TSB's and various instructions downloaded from the Land Rover Global Technical Reference (GTR) website.

I don't think there is no issue with posting, as long as it is for non-commercial use (i.e you aren't trying to sell copies). Also, you can scan to a .pdf file. The dealership had no problem handing them out, so I wouldn't worry too much. But if you are still not comfortable with it, then that's OK with me.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not selling it, so it ok. This is why we have forums to share info and help each other out.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh!

You guys are going to wear me down to to point that it's easier to to just give the instructions.

Front Differential:
1. Remove engine skid plate
2. Clean area around drain and fill plugs, remove fill plug
3 Remove drain plug, drain fluid
4. Install drain plug; up to serial number 254845, tighten hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft), from serial number 254836, tighten 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Fill with 0.61 litres (1.07 pints) (0.64 US quarts) Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 (LRN 7591)
CAUTION: Do not use the fill plug as a level, fill with the correct quantity
6. Tighten filler plug to 34Nm (25 lb-ft)
7. Reinstall engine skid Plate.

Rear Differential:
1. Raise and support vehicle
WARNING: do not work under a vehicle supported by a jack
CAUTION: Do not undo or remove the large protruding hexagonal on the differential casing.
2. Clean the area around the differential fill plug and drain plug, remove the fill plug
3. Position container to collect fluid, remove the drain plug. Drain fluid
4. Install drain plug. Up to differential serial number 254325, tighten the hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft) from differential serial number 254326, tighten the 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28 Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Refill with correct fluid and quantity;
Open unit: Castrol SAF - XO 75W/90 LRN 7591 1.1 Litres (2.3 US pints)(1.16 US Quarts)
Electronic torque managed differential: Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus LRN500070
1.5 litres (3.17 US pints) (1.6 US quarts)
CAUTION: make sure correct specification and quantity of oil is used
7. Install filler plug and tighten to 34Nm (25lb-ft)

Transfer case Draining and Filling

1. Raise and support vehicle (note the warning)
2. position a container to collect fluid
3. Clean area around fluid drain plug, remove plug and discard the sealing washer.
4. Allow fluid to drain
5. Clean component mating faces, install a new sealing washer, install drain plug and tighten to 22Nm (16lb-ft)
6. Remove the filler/level plug, clean the immediate are and discard the sealing washer
7. Refill transfer case with Shell TF 0753, LRN0753, until the fluid is level with the bottom of the filler/level plug hole. (1.5 litres)(2.6 US pints)(1.5 US quarts)
8. Install the fluid filler/level plug with a new sealing washer and tighten to 22Nm (16l lb-ft)

Not a difficult job. You will need some kind of pump to get the fluid into the filler holes. The discount auto stores sell a cheap pump that screws onto the oil containers. Be prepared for a lot of leakage if you use one of these things

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I happened to be in Miami so I stopped at the dealer to buy the oil. Get ready for this:

Transfer Case LRN0754 $32.37 per quart, you need 2
Rear Locker dif LRN500070 $32.20 per quart, need 2
Front dif LRN7591 $17.40, one needed.

The parts guy apologized for the price and said "just be thankful you don't own a 2010, it's $27.00 a quart for the motor oil. He was impressed that I was going to do the job myself and was kind enough (guilt maybe) to print out all of the instructions, quantities and torque settings. I thanked him for having convenient Saturday hours and I asked how many DIY customers he had. He said that he had 5 or 6. Oh, 5 or 6 today, a rainy Saturday? No, 5 or 6 in total!

Do you live in Miami and which store did you go to? North or South Dade? I live 10 minutes from South dade. just not supporting them anymore..

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South Dade.

I've had mixed experiences with them. They replaced my cracked dash out of warranty and have always given me a free loaner. On the other hand, every time I've picked up the car after service, it looks like crap. Oil stains on the door panels, carpet and seats. They don't give any discount for parts and they have a hard time answering the phone.

I live in Key West and there are a lot of Land Rovers in town (so many in fact that LR sent a marketing team here to investigate and I was part of a 4 day dawn to dusk Land Rover market research study) some of the other owners go to the Naples/Fort Meyers dealer instead of South Dade.

What's been your experience?

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is our moderator on here? Perhaps this could be a Maintenance Sticky, and help other users out by having this info right up front/top.... just a suggestion.

BJ

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can royal purple or amsoil fluids be used in the Transfer case verses the Shell TF0753?

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there really no other options for the Transfer Case. Just hard to believe that Shell TF 0753 is the only gear oil available.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to attempt this myself.. anyone know the size/spec on the diff & t-case sealer washer that needs to be replaced?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA