Service Indicator Reset - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much searching, I am still unable to find a working solution to resetting the 2005 LR3 HSE service interval indicator without going to the dealer. I just changed the oil/filter, and have tried the sequences that have been noted. . .but they have not been successful.

Has anyone successfully reset the service interval indicator themselves? If so how? There must be a way. . . I'd even be a-ok buying a normal OBD-II reader thing if that could do it. (It is not the check engine light, just the normal 6 month oil serivce indicator.)

(By the way. . .in trying to reset it by holding down the trip reset while turning key to ignition II, I found an odd thing. If you keep the trip reset pushed while then turning the key back off, you get a wierd display. It showed "R" then "- 05 - 07" on one row and "-05 -07" on the second row. I have no idea what that is for.)

Please help. I'd hate to have to go to the dealer to have them reset this thing everytime I do the oil.

Thanks

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the process that does not seem to work to reset the SII. This is the procedure as provided by the LR Technical Documentation

Service Interval Indicator (SII)
The service interval indicator is displayed in the information display. This provides information to the driver warning of an impending service requirement.

The service interval is displayed for 3 seconds when the ignition is switched on. The service interval is reset by the dealer using T4 or a manual reset procedure and, once set, counts down the mileage and time in days to the next service.

The service interval varies depending on market and vehicle engine fitment. In some Eastern European countries, South American countries, Middle East and African countries and some Asia Pacific countries the SII is disabled.

Remaining Distance

The remaining distance is calculated by the instrument cluster by using the current odometer value and the last service reset odometer value. The instrument cluster uses these two values to calculate the distance remaining to the next service. The remaining distance value is used to display the oil service requirement.

The mileage is displayed to the nearest 50 Km or 25 miles depending on the market configuration of the vehicle. If the service interval passes zero without being reset, the instrument pack will continue counting down and the remaining distance display will show a negative (-) value.

The trigger point for displaying the remaining distance is 600 miles (1000 km) or 30 days or less depending on the market configuration of the vehicle and is contained within the Car Configuration File (CCF).

Driver Alert

When an ignition on signal is received by the instrument cluster, the cluster software performs a check to establish if the driver service alert thresholds have been reached. If a driver alert threshold has been enabled, the applicable service information will be displayed in the information display for 5 seconds. After the 5 second display has elapsed, the information display shows the normal odometer and trip information.

Reset Procedure

There are two ways of resetting the service interval indicator. T4 can be connected to the vehicle and diagnostic routine performed or a manual reset procedure can performed using the trip rest button on the instrument cluster.

Manual Reset Procedure
• Press and hold the trip reset button.
• Turn the ignition switch on to the ignition position II.
• If the SII function is set in the CCF the information display will flash 'SERVICE' for 5 seconds and then display 'SERVICE' constantly. If the SII function is not set in the CFF the information display will show the normal odometer and trip information.
• The software will check if remaining distance service is enabled (threshold reached). If the remaining distance service is not enabled the procedure will continue from step K.
• If the trip reset button is released within 10 seconds of entering the reset mode, the information display will show 'OIL'. If the trip reset button is not released after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
o If the trip reset button is not released after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
• If the oil service value reset is not required, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it in step E and hold for less than 5 seconds and proceed to step H. This will by-pass the oil service reset procedure.
• If the oil service value is to be reset, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it and hold for more than 5 seconds. The information display will show 'RESET' for 5 seconds and then reset the oil service value. If reset is not possible, the information display will show 'CANNOT RESET' for 5 seconds.
o If reset is not possible, the information display will show 'CANNOT RESET' for 5 seconds.
• The information display will show 'INSPECT'.
• If the inspection service value reset is not required, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it in step G and hold for less than 5 seconds and proceed to step K. This will by-pass the inspection service reset procedure. If the trip reset button is not pressed after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
o If the trip reset button is not pressed after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
• If the inspection service value is to be reset, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it and hold for more than 5 seconds. The information display will show 'RESET' for 5 seconds and then reset the inspection service value. If reset is not possible, the information display will show 'CANNOT RESET' for 5 seconds.
o If reset is not possible, the information display will show 'CANNOT RESET' for 5 seconds.
• The software will check if date service is enabled (threshold reached). If the date service is not enabled the procedure will continue from step O.
• The information display will show 'DATE'.
• If the date service value reset is not required, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it in step I and hold for less than 5 seconds and proceed to step O. This will by-pass the date service reset procedure. If the trip reset button is not pressed after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
o If the trip reset button is not pressed after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
• If the date service value is to be reset, press the trip reset button within 10 seconds of releasing it and hold for more than 5 seconds. The information display will show 'RESET' for 5 seconds and then reset the date service value.
• The information display will show 'END'.
• If the trip reset button is pressed within 10 seconds and pressed for less than 5 seconds the procedure will return to step E. If the trip reset button is not pressed after 10 seconds, the display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.
• If the trip reset button is pressed within 10 seconds and pressed and held for more than 5 seconds the information display will show the next service type and distance/days to next service and the instrument cluster will exit the manual reset procedure.

Trynian

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it has to be done at the dealer with an 05 or someone who has a code reader that works on the LR3.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 2008s and later can be reset manually as described above, for earlier model years the dealer needs to reset the SII via diagnostics.

garciado

Reaction score
Service interval reset

I have a 2006 Land Rover LR3 SE, V6, with about 70k miles, and also have been searching for a way to reset the service interval on it. I found, and have ordered, a "CAN Mate SRT" tool from:
https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

They had responded quickly to several of my emails, and also have a video on their site showing the tool resetting the service interval, just by plugging into the ODB port.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/videos/SRT.html

Down side is that with conversion from the Euro, and International Shipping, it nets out to about 100.00, but it won't take many resets to pay for it, if it works. I have ordered one, and will try it on my LR3 as soon as it comes in, and post results here as well.
Fingers crossed.....

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Great timing. I just replaced my oil this weekend and was about to pay $30 to the sealer to have the counter reset....not now. Interesting bit about no sharing :-(

When you use the CAN-Mate SRT for the first time on your vehicle, it will lock itself to your Vehicle’s VIN. This will actually help you in two ways. It is a theft deterrent as there is no point in stealing your CAN-Mate SRT, because it is electronically locked to your car and also it allows us to provide it at a low purchase price of just £49.

garciado

Reaction score
Follow up note for Can Mate SRT tool

Well, I'd love to be reporting that the Can Mate SRT tool from Blackbox-Solutions out of England, works well, but the story is that I paid for it (just over 100.00 US with conversion and shipping) back on October 26th, and can't get anyone there to respond to my emails to give me shipping/tracking status. They were quick to answer my emails on pre-sales questions, but I've tried emailing everyone there with an email address on the web, and NO ONE bothers to answer. I guess I now take it up with my credit card company as a dispute. Very sad, it looks/looked like a fairly reasonable solution.
I had also emailed one of their distributors in the US to try to buy here, but they never bothered to respond either.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt dispute the charge yet, but dont wait more than 30 days either....I know too well customs can really hold stuff up. Thats no excuse the lack of communication though. Please keep us posted....I tried to by one, but the website wont accept my .info email address and I havnt worked around it yet.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IN this case , I can only speak for myself .I had a very pleasant experience with BBS when ordering, although my little gadget is called Foultmate MSV2 and costs more than a 1000$ , i would not bash a customs for a hold up or particular company.My toy was way more complicated , than SIR tool and yet it arrived to my house in four days.I ordered it on Monday and received it Friday .What I remember was, once they have your money ,your stuff is shipped out almost immediately.Actually it took more than 45 hours from JFK to NJ through Newark so that accounts almost for a half of the entire trip.Speaking of BBS stuff , I would say they where very friendly ,knowledgeable and fast with S and H.Ordering,, on the other hand, was very painful and long process .but that was due to my debit card and all accompanied restrictions and Patriot ACt regulations.It took my two full days to unblock my credit card for international transactions.After a few phone calls to bank headquarters and countless e mails to BBs on that matter , my money went through and I immediately received a tracking number with TNT website.I don't know what happened to your stuff ,but you should get tracking number pretty fast after the transaction goes through.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IN this case , I can only speak for myself .I had a very pleasant experience with BBS when ordering,......

I ordered the CAN MATE SRT on Friday and had it sent by DHL International and I had it by the next Tuesday. Read the little manual, easy to understand. Just haven't used it yet.

Now, I just need to change the oil, every thing is sitting in the garage. The Weather here in the Tidewater area was too rough over the last couple of days, and now everything is still too soggy and wet to get outside. Maybe over the next couple of days.

BJ

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA