Is it worth it???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nklschvz

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to land rovers. I am looking to buy a 2005 Range Rover HSE. I have fallen completely in love with these vehicles since I first droves friends. The concerns I have are relevant. I can afford the truck as wells insurance and maintenance I have already figured that out. My friends rover was an 04 and when he hit about 150k on the miles, he began to have many problems, the dealer would fix something but that never actually fixed the problem and it was continuous until he finally sold the truck at a loss for only $6000. I've read some nightmare stories as well, but it sounds the same that if the truck is well maintained you will get a good life. The truck I am wanting to buy has 110xxx miles, has every service record from the local dealer. Is in excellent shape, this was a proud owner. I just dot want to pay $14,000 for a vehicle I have to pay to fix all the time. I am sick of driving a simple car, I want to drive something that makesme WANT to drive. I hope someone has some good advice to give me about this. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with this decision. Thank you!

tyrepros

Reaction score
Strap one on and drive an awesome, high performance and high maintenance vehicle and get ready to feed it, or go and buy a Toyota corolla.

SC_BLACKOUT

Reaction score
Love everything about them...like a high Maintence woman...great to look at...awesome driving it but it needs you love and attention all the time! Buy it!

278gtw

Reaction score
I have had 9 Discovery,s over the last 20 years ranging for the old TDi200 to the LR3. I have just got my first Range Rover HSE and can't stop smiling, forget about running costs the smile is worth it.

All those years of convincing myself that Disco,s are as good....Nah

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to land rovers. ..... I just dot want to pay $14,000 for a vehicle I have to pay to fix all the time.

The irony of your post is interesting. 50% of the threads in the RR section on just the first page are all failures and "issues". Granted this is where those things get listed but it IS the reality. So, if you have any concerns WHATSOEVER, over ability or willingness to cover the cost of maintenance and repairs (those are two different things), then you will not be having much fun with the admittedly wonderful Range Rover.

I had a new 07, it was really sweet yet I needed more interior space so sold it privately and bought a new 07 LR3 instead which I still have. In fact I still maintain the 3 Land Rovers listed in my signature.

It will cost to keep up, it's just a fact. The bonus though of one at that price level/age, is that the maximum you can loose is the full amount of purchase, which is far far less than they depreciate in the first 18 months ;) In reality you should be able to try it out, enjoy it, and even sell in a couple years without loosing too much other than upkeep during ownership.

There are better/worse year ranges though... 2003-2005 I think had the BMW engine and some other things that were very different from 2006+ like nav type. 2007 was the big change year though with engine, interior/instrument design/layout, seats, and some other stuff. Not all "improvements" are better than previous generation though.

For example, the "luxury" seats up through 2006 were really nice being from a bmw based design where there were more adjustments than the next generation seats. They were multi adjustable with even the upper half of the backrest bending separately from the lower half and the headrest was a better and more adjustable shape than 2007+.

They are very cool vehicles but you should be prepared, at least emotionally, to spend another $14,000 in repairs in the first 1-2 years because that mileage is where some big things can start to come up. Maybe not but you can't bank on maybe....

peterj

Reaction score
Have a 2006 RR hse. We had this and a Lexus at the same time. The RR is expensive to maintain and the Lexus cost us nothing. When the lease came due on the Lexus we kept the RR. It is not an issue of maintenance but performance. These are complicated beasts that can do things no Lexus ever could IMHO. Replaced the Lexus with the MB GLK 250, also a great car. One month later my wife insisted on getting a new RR sport and to get rid of the MB (maybe to the daughter).

Thing is the choice is not always/necessarily an intelligent one. We "feel" that a RR gives us safety and performance that is worth the trouble and expense. I have never encountered weather conditions that have made me even the least little bit nervous in the RR. Can't say the same of the other vehicles we have owned. Just be prepared to pay for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA