Question about potential purchase of 03 DII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fumples

Reaction score
I posted on these forums a while ago (like three years) asking questions about purchasing a Land Rover, and because of your suggestions towards maintenance costs I refrained. Well, I've gotten rid of my previous car and am looking to buy one again. I just visited a 2003 Disco II ... The biggest issue would probably be the cracked windshield - I'm aware they can get expensive to fix. Aside from that, it was mostly cosmetic issues which were far and few.

When I drove it, it ran fine. It almost felt as if first and second gear shifted very fast and then it was in third gear for a long while, but we were going around 50 miles an hour. It shifted smoothly and I heard no knocking or clicks at all.

The only potential issue with the car was when I would release the accelerator and then press it again, there was a very small 'jump' of sorts and I heard a noise from the front end of the car, almost like a click as it shifts into gear or gives gas again. Is it something I should be worried about?

The check engine light was on but I'm going to bring a code reader next time I visit, because I have reason to believe it's not a very large issue.

What are your thoughts? Next time I visit what should I look out for?

Thank you!!!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on it and what are they asking for it.
03's do not have locking t/cases so you will be a little short on traction over many of the other year models.
The click could be a failing drive shaft.
If you get at all serious pay a good Rover mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection.
Make sure you get us the actual fault code numbers so we can help you.

Fumples

Reaction score
Thank you Disco Mike.. I vaguely recall you posting on my thread 3 years ago, haha. I'm going to go check the car out with someone who's worked in an auto body shop for years, and he'll determine whether the car's going to be worth the price considering all of it's shortcomings. I don't mind performing maintenance on it as long as it's not going to conk out quickly. I don't drive very much, only putting 17k miles on my previous car in 3 years.

The rover has 150k miles and it's best offer starting at 4k. Discovery 2003 S trim.

EDIT: It shifted strangely when I test drove it, but after driving a five speed manual for so many years, I've forgotten that Discoverys are 4-speeds, which would explain the shifting.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A body shop employe is not who you want checking it out, you need a well qualified Rover mechanic who know what to kook for.
Get us the fault code numbers.

Fumples

Reaction score
A body shop employe is not who you want checking it out, you need a well qualified Rover mechanic who know what to kook for.
Get us the fault code numbers.

I said auto body shop employee... I meant auto mechanic. He's owned multiple range rovers. Unfortunately I don't have the means to pay someone to inspect it but I'll get the fault codes when I check it out in a couple of hours.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the money to pay for a real inspection, I would stay away from it cause you are going to have an easy $600 plus in work on it prior to taking it off road.

Fumples

Reaction score
If you don't have the money to pay for a real inspection, I would stay away from it cause you are going to have an easy $600 plus in work on it prior to taking it off road.

I don't have a ton of wiggle room but I meant more as in there are no Rover dealerships or repair centers even remotely close by and I'm not acquainted with anyone who specializes in this particular type of car. Regardless thank you for the help. I'm looking at a bunch of vehicles and I suppose I'll update here if I have any further questions. Thank you!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72