100 - 130 compression...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMLE

Reaction score
100 - 130 compression...Plus no fuel pressure issue

Hi All!

Got a 1996 Disco I with a manual transmission today.

Disco1-2.jpg

In case any one was wondering about pulling a Disco with a Disco (pulled it home with an '03 DII)...

The '96 Disco was not running when I bought it.

Put in a fresh battery and did a cold, dry compression check.

Except for the right rear cross threaded plug (compliments of previous owner....:hmpf:), the other seven cylinders varied from 100 to 130 PSI.

That seems a bit low, and slightly out of the preferred 10% of each other, but not too far out...

What do you all think?

I'm just going through the beginning stages of getting fresh fuel, oil, etc... into it before starting to get it running again.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A compression test needs to be done when the engine is warm, 100 to 120 is way low, should be in the 140 to 160 range.
If you wanty some help with the PM me your number and I'll call you.

SMLE

Reaction score
Update:

Had a very insightful conversation with DiscoMike, Thank you!

The vehicle is not running, so before I buttoned up the spark plugs to begin troubleshooting why it's not running, I added a small amount of oil to each of the cylinders and rechecked compression on two of the cylinders. I may have added a hair too much as the compression shot up to 210 on both... I really didn't add much...

So, put it all back together, tested to see if I had spark. Looks like I do. Wouldn't start so checked fuel. Fuel gauge registers about a third tank, but there is no fuel pressure at the FI rail. Vehicle is reported to have sat for two to three years without running, so I'm off to the auto store to pick up some fuel stabilizer to eliminate any water.

So starting to look into why. I did discover that the fuel cap is missing.

Any body have a similar experience?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even on a wet test, the engine still has to be hot, be careful , 210 will damage the engine, 170 or about is all they can handle.

SMLE

Reaction score
Even on a wet test, the engine still has to be hot, be careful , 210 will damage the engine, 170 or about is all they can handle.

I thought it might not be good, so ran the starter a few times with no plugs and no compression tester to try to expel any excess oil on top of the piston.

I am trying to get it running to test it while hot...

Verified that i have just over five volts on the green wire at the fuel pump. Added 2.5 gallons of gas to the tank just to make sure I had fuel in it.

Now at the rail I have a dribble of fuel coming out.

Located the fuel filter and will replace it tomorrow unless somebody has any other suggestions at this point...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to call me tomorrow so I can walk you thru how to start it and warm it up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut