T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks David. I did mean Tactical 4x4. Going to correct that ;)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to take my driver's side slider down to check conditions of the compressor, which had become progressively louder with every off-road trip I'd taken lately. The past couple of weeks the rat-tat-tat from the pump when it is running has become really loud, borderline annoying and noticeable even if you are standing at a fair distance outside the car, so I was wondering if perhaps the bolts of the "lift" bracket for the AMK compressor supplied by Tactical had loosened due to the rough ride and caused the bracket to drop and contact the sliders, with related vibrations and noise. The noise had become so unusually loud I was also worried that perhaps the compressor itself might be damaged. Anyway, after removing the slider I quickly figured out the problem:

2014-10-11-00.jpg

2014-10-11-02.jpg

2014-10-11-03.jpg

Yep, that's a good 4-5 lbs of caked up, compacted mud / sand / dirt I must have collected inside the "tray" under the compressor over my various off-roading trips, which had basically filled the empty space between compressor and slider and turned into something similar to concrete, causing all that noise when the pump was running. Hosed off the mess and bolted the slider back on, compressor runs quieter than ever.

I am sending these photos to the guys at Tactical 4x4 and suggesting they drill one or two larger holes or slots on that tray, to allow any water and debris to drain through instead of piling up. There is a small drain hole on the tray of my slider, but it is obviously far too small to be effective. Don't know if they modified the design on later units.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this in case you notice a similar increase in noise and vibrations from your compressor and are using Tactical's sliders. You may just be able to hose off the accumulated dirt by directing pressurized water from a garden hose through the opening in front of the rear wheel well, which allows limited access to the rear of the compressor. The pressurized water should displace the bulk of debris laying in there eventually, and you wouldn't have to drop the slider which, as those of us who have done it a few times know, is not the most fun thing you can do on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto!!!

My compressor has not become louder, but I definitely may need to give it a good cleaning.

Wow, that's a lot of debris build up!!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto,

One more question (sorry, but I couldn't edit above), did you notice that the compressor itself was really dirty? I think I mentioned before that with the T44 sliders, the air compressor itself is much more exposed. I put some plastic there to somewhat shield it and still provide ventilation.

I am curious to see if you noticed anything. Thanks!

Regards, David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I actually found it remarkably clean. A bit dusty, that's all. My guess is that it "self cleans" every time it operates, shaking debris off itself and the bracket it's resting on. The eletrical wiring is tucked up into the upper half of the original enclosure, so all those connectors were spotless as well.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I actually found it remarkably clean. A bit dusty, that's all. My guess is that it "self cleans" every time it operates, shaking debris off itself and the bracket it's resting on. The eletrical wiring is tucked up into the upper half of the original enclosure, so all those connectors were spotless as well.
Thanks, Umberto!

That's what I thought since mine appears to stay pretty clean. Awhile back when I first installed the T44 sliders, I remember posting a photo of how exposed the air compressor was and was pretty surprised. I am glad to see it's not an issue, as I think we would have experienced something thus far.

Next up I am going to be installing the Kaymar rear bumper, let's see how that goes!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob, does your compressor mount have a hole in the base of the lowered section (where the dirt is caked)? Mine did, maybe based on your input for drainage.

Curious if others refit the sound deadening material from LR (foam)? I did, hoping it is not an issue of any kind I've introduced.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look nice, but unless you're seeing something I'm not - they are only for disco I and II.

Umberto, Is the drain hole such that you could put a hose up to it to help loosen and flush the dirt?

COSwede

Reaction score
Like Umberto was a test subject with Tactical, it appears I can be the same with these guys for my LR4... If I am willing to go to Utah :) The price is good but I haven't seen any experiential testimony on other LR vehicles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72