T44 rock sliders - Test fitting (long post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a later build 2012, there is a 50/50 chance you may have the new AMK compressor / bracket installed already (I think that's the model year they started switching from Hitachi - old bracket - to AMK compressors.)

I wonder if there is a way to tell which vesion it is WITHOUT taking the cover off. Your post mentions that taking off the cover is a pain (yes, i am lazy). I wonder if they run my vin, they could tell. I bought my 2012 in June, while it was still in transit on the boat from the UK. Not that it really mattes, unlike the cherokee, I have had no problems with the compressor or air suspension...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic cover is shaped differently. Look at the photo of the one I posted above and compare it to the one mounted under your car. Even without removing it, there should be 3, clearly visible round bulges with a hole in the middle corresponding to the position of the 3 shock absorbers mounted on the aluminum bracket (in my photo of the inner surface, they are indentations of course.) Stick a thin screwdriver straight up one of those holes - gently! - you should hit metal only, no insulation. If that's the case, you have the new AMK compressor and bracket.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now ..Umbertob,,,

Since you have experience with rover Specialties sliders, would you be able to find out , if new bracket from TR 4x4 would accomodate a new cpmpressor over a RS sliders , that many of us currently own. I don,t want to cut them open yet since a new bracket shines on the horizon..I still use a old air compressor, but would like to know what will be our options in the future? Thanks.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic cover is shaped differently. Look at the photo of the one I posted above and compare it to the one mounted under your car. Even without removing it, there should be 3, clearly visible round bulges with a hole in the middle corresponding to the position of the 3 shock absorbers mounted on the aluminum bracket (in my photo of the inner surface, they are indentations of course.) Stick a thin screwdriver straight up one of those holes - gently! - you should hit metal only, no insulation. If that's the case, you have the new AMK compressor and bracket.

bingo, looks like i have the amk. thanks for the help

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thorgal, I can't be sure but knowing how the RS sliders are built and how they mount on the chassis - pretty much the same as the T44 sliders - I bet the modified bracket would do the trick to raise the pump out of the way. My understanding is that the new compressor is sold as a kit (which includes new bracket, upper and lower covers, relay, air lines with fittings and mounting hardware) whenever a dealer orders a replacement compressor for LR3 or LR4 alike, the old Hitachi design is no longer available, period.

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umber, how does the door meet the slider section? Is it similar in angle design as the plastic bits? I fitted the Devon 4x4 aluminum sliders to my '12, but they left a gap between the door seal at the bottom of the door itself and the slider side. I used a foam section from Mcmaster to address this but I'm now thinking about a heavier duty slider.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sidewall of each slider rides up the lower sill, basically replacing the plastic molding, and it will be so flush with the body that the yellow clips for the factory plastic trim will need to be removed for a proper fit (those plastic "poppers" were actually an issue during test fitting, they couldn't remove them yet since the trim had to be snapped back on for the time being, until the sliders are ready.) I don't expect to see any gap at all between door seals and sliders sidewalls once they are bolted on.

Last edited:

rt10516

Reaction score
Great posts and information everyone. I am looking for sliders for the 06 LR3 and was trying to find some Rover Specialty sliders but Luck8 doesn't carry them and it looks like they are no longer being made. Does anyone know if that is correct?

My next option is the Tactical sliders with nerd bars. My only hesitation was that I would prefer round bars.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did Justin mention the Terrfirma Aluminum sliders? I bought a set, they are solid channel with round nerf bars and extremely light. You certainly give up a little protection as they are sill and bar only. But if this is a daily driver, helps cut down the weight of add-ons.

LR34

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

A couple of other with round bars are from Voyager Racks (around $1100) and Urban Offroad (around $700). As with the Terrafirma sliders that NAS mentioned, both are sill and bar only. Both are steel and claim not to require any mods to install. I was also looking at side bar options because I am more concerned with side protection (e.g. trees, parking garage pillars).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV