brake job cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
I'm sure this is probably buried in prior posts, but anybody out there have a recent experience with a dealer performed OEM brake job (+/- rotors) - cost wise?
My light just came on. Time to bust out the wallet I'm afraid.

thanks in advance.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got this done. I went with OEM pads and ordered it from Rocklin Land Rover who gives great discounts on OEM stuff. For front and rear pads, with all sensors, the part costed around $250-$300. My indie shop charged $150 for labor. The stealership wanted $1100 for the service...good god!!!

Anyway, I didn't have to resurface/replace my rotors since it was still in good condition. Good luck!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership
Front rotors and pads (and sensor) $915 to 950
Rear rotors and pads $750

Turiroc

Reaction score
Recently had my rear brakes replaced. Dealer wanted $330 for rear pads, $570 for pads and rotors. I decided to buy aftermarket (Akebono) and did the install myself. I ended up saving $270. Also found a Independent LR Mechanic who would charge $200 for pads, non OEM.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent $1100 at the dealer for OEM pads & rotors & labor. (front & rear)

I had a bad experience with non-OEM brake parts & labor on our LR3. I saved about $500 initially then spent $400 to replace the parking brake shoes that are inside the rear rotors. My wife drove the LR3 home from the indy mechanic with smoke pouring off one of the rear wheels and loud screeching. The parking brake shoes were destroyed and the intense heat warped the brand new rear rotor. (The heat even turned the rotor blue) The indy shop replaced the rear rotor but claimed the parking shoes just wore out at the same time and needed replacing. (No, the idiot mechanic somehow ruined the parking brake when installing the new rear rotors)

And after about 20K miles, the non-OEM rotors corroded badly and squeaked often. I will always stay with OEM rotors in the future.

If you want to do the brake job yourself, Atlantic British sells OEM pads & rotors plus a few other pad and rotor options.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Does this include labor?

Yes, $200 included Pads, sensor and labor and he would come to you. If I had to replace the rotors, he would use OEM rotors and simply add the cost of the rotor to the $200.

I believe the pads were Powerstop?!?!? No 100% sure..

horns

Reaction score
knew I was in trouble when this light showed up on the instrument panel

dollarsign.png

dollarsign.png

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take that dash light over the famous "Christmas tree of death" that lights up on the LR3 dashboard. It happened to me in gridlock traffic outside NYC. The cause is failure of a $30 brake light switch that nearly cripples the vehicle and lights up many warning lights. Thankfully LR used an updated brake light switch on the LR4.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ That happened to me as well Paul with our LR3 back in Feb 2011. Of course, our brilliant dealer argued with me (don't argue with web forums!) and went on to spend $2K on a new alternator, new wiring harnesses, etc. - and the problem wasn't fixed. "New" tech then changed the brake switch and problem solved! (his mistake - mentioning to me that it was an "easy fix").... Let's just say that I only paid $500 of that ridiculous bill, and I still feel overcharged by at least $300...

Such is life...

-B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV