To compo or not to compo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By all means, they are not a "must have" accessory. It just depends how much you use the thing. Pretty much all of my off-roading is in the desert which involves airing down to ~15-20 psi for sand driving. It takes a long time to air up big off road tires when you are back on the street. Not to mention if you need to re-seat a tire that has lost bead, the twin pumps pushing all that air will make it MUCH easier! Power tools and all the rest are just a bonus.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those with compos running 265-65-18 - have you ever ran a factory full size spare in a pinch? Is it too much difference for the computer to handle?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would not want to run the +/- 30" factory spare with an oversized 31.5" setup for more than a very short hop to a nearby tire shop, and that hop better not involve any highway driving. A 5%+ difference in overall circumference will definitely cause issues on long distances or at high speed. If you mount the spare on the front axle the transmission won't even upshift past 2nd or 3rd because it thinks you are in a turn.

If you've gone the oversized off-road tire way, you really want a matching spare with you at all times, at least dimensionally (you can keep the full size factory 19" or 20" rim if you want, but install a 19" or 20" tire over it that's close to the overall circumference of your 18" setup.) Chances are, you will need it at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ordered mine today

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would not want to run the +/- 30" factory spare with an oversized 31.5" setup for more than a very short hop to a nearby tire shop, and that hop better not involve any highway driving. A 5%+ difference in overall circumference will definitely cause issues on long distances or at high speed. If you mount the spare on the front axle the transmission won't even upshift past 2nd or 3rd because it thinks you are in a turn.

If you've gone the oversized off-road tire way, you really want a matching spare with you at all times, at least dimensionally (you can keep the full size factory 19" or 20" rim if you want, but install a 19" or 20" tire over it that's close to the overall circumference of your 18" setup.) Chances are, you will need it at the worst possible time.
+1 - I absolutely agree.

If you are going to go the Compo route, do it right and get 5 wheels and always have a full-sized spare.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 - I absolutely agree.

If you are going to go the Compo route, do it right and get 5 wheels and always have a full-sized spare.
I did order 5. Fwiw it was more of a tire size storage issue than anything. If i put a roof rack on it to carry spare then no fit in garage. i need the interior space so that's out. A new bumper with swing would be ok but it seems my best choice isnt readily available. While that will be my long term solution it wont happen right away. .so that leaves me with a deflated one underneath which isn't the greatest solution given that it has to be aired up. But i can live with it for now.

Is it true i wony be able to get a hitch adapter in with the big flat spare under the truck? We have a thule 4 bike carrier ill need to mount.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's false. I got my 18' LR3 rim 265/65r18 and I could put the hitch in no problem

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For long trips I keep the 5th inside the vehicle, which is fine but not ideal of course. I'm thinking about possibly shaving some tread off so it will fit in the spare location. I'm running the BFG 265 65 18. I guess I could run a slightly smaller tire for the spare but BFG doesn't make anything in the TA KO series.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For long trips on pavement I have my spare (Duratrac 265/65/18) deflated and located in the spare wheel location. In my trunk I have a compressor. When I go off-road I put the spare in the trunk and secure it with ratchet straps.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For long trips I keep the 5th inside the vehicle, which is fine but not ideal of course. I'm thinking about possibly shaving some tread off so it will fit in the spare location. I'm running the BFG 265 65 18. I guess I could run a slightly smaller tire for the spare but BFG doesn't make anything in the TA KO series.

No need to shave the tire at all.
Remove the heat shield, deflate your BFG to about 8 PSI and it will fit perfectly under the truck. Search the forum for details. It was discussed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72