Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my LR4 since July, so this is our first winter with it. Our LR4 does not have a warm and dry garage to rest in - so it will be outside in the [sometimes] harsh winter weather - ice, snow, cold, etc. When I bought the truck, the salesman said that there is no way to add a remote start to this car (didn't specify why). Is that true, or has anyone found a solution to that (other than the obvious - i.e., walk outside and actually start the car)?

mrtp4

Reaction score
I have zero expertise in this, but my first thought was that a remote starter would not work unless you kept the key fob in the truck all night. ... where anyone could drive away with it. I don't think there is anyway to start the truck without the smartkey in there(??)

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smartkey is the problem.
Every remote start I have ever heard of requires one of the key transponders to be buried in the car somewhere, and long story short, the remote start activates a read and energives the ignition and starter when activated.
With the Smart Key in the car, first issue is expense, then, the vehicle recognizes the key inside the car, and never 'sleeps'. The electrical system keeps a good part of the vehicle modules on, expecting a start soon, since the key is in there. Eventually, if left long enough, the car battery goes flat. (over a period of days). Even if it doesn't, the constant drain/power cycles will beat a battery quick.

I have a customer that complained his battery kept dying. He lives 6 hours from here. No issues found in system, happens again, check, no issues. After a very lengthy interview, a tiny detail - 'no one cares in town, we just leave our keys in the car all the time,' The vehicle would keep the modules awake since he stored the keys in the car. We couldn't fix that. He didn't like the idea of removing the keys from the car when parked for a week in the garage.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have assumed that with the growing popularity of smartkeys, manufacturers have been able to include a remote start system in vehicles that have push button start, where the car can start but not be driven until the smartkey appears. I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee has both a smartkey and a remote start option (unless the remote start removes the smartkey feature?).

Then again, could it be that the remote start concept is more favored in the US (to go along with our bigger appetite for gas guzzlers), and maybe it's just that the European manufacturers don't view it as a necessary feature? (I say that w/o actually knowing what other European (or Japanese) manufacturers include in their cars these days, although I think the smartkey has been widely adopted)

Either way, I'm guessing it is more of an factory-installed type of feature now, and not something that can easily be added via aftermarket accessories.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost any car (even all mercedes) can have a remote start installed and it is 100% possible to do, in fact i know a few RRS's and LR3/4's with them in my area. The tricky part is finding someone who knows what they are doing. A high end Compustar or Viper dealer can do it. Looking at around 650-700 dollars though.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of my issues with my truck....a remote start. I agree with Steve..it can be done..surely can but you will surely void the warranty...cost alot of money and be very dangerous doing it with someone who may not know what they are doing completely. It would be very helpful for me as well as i HATE getting into a cold vehicle. Now what i do is i get in the vehicle start it...leave the spare key inside because that is the only way you can lock the doors and let it run for about 20 minutes until i get in and it is nice and toasty. I can not leave it running with the door unlocked in Brooklyn NY! :)

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Now what i do is i get in the vehicle start it...leave the spare key inside because that is the only way you can lock the doors and let it run for about 20 minutes until i get in and it is nice and toasty. I can not leave it running with the door unlocked in Brooklyn NY! :)

Still very risky. A broken window away from getting your $60k vehicle jacked.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right....would hate to get jacked on this truck for sure. I only do it when the vehicle is directly in front of my house nothing less. Also smashing the window will make noise and set off the alarm and if a thief want to take that chance...then as Clint would say..."..feel lucky..make my day!"

RangeBoy

Reaction score
Hi guys! my friend just installed one on his RRS 2014! I think he pay about 1000$ for two way car starter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72