Why no chains on rear wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I could see that, still having trouble wrapping my brain around that being more important than steering and stopping power, especially in icy situations where you have the potential of other cars sliding right at you. But I could definitely see the value of not fishtailing when in slow speed, off roading situations.
It doesn't matter where you're pointing the front wheels when the rear wheels are swinging around in front of you.

What year LR4 do you have?…

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread.

Seems like that the LR' recommendation of chains on the fronts only could be the good old legal liability issue, much like the advice given by most manufacturers about always putting the new tires on the fronts, if bought in set of two, even if the rear tires are more worn out. I read somewhere that this is to fight the statistical data which suggests that in accidents that occur due to loss of control, more often the cause is due to the loss of traction in the front wheels rather than that of in the rear wheels, etc.

I started to research snow chains for my LR4 and came across this thread, very helpful indeed. I was looking at the following accessories pdf on LR site and noticed that they have two different types (one page 5 and page 6), wonder whats really the difference or if anyone here has either of them.

http://www.landrover.com/content/us/accessories-kit-brochures/8-29-13_LR4_10.09.pdf

Also, just a thought, could there be a mechanical/technical or computer control related reason as to why the manual specifically mentions to not to put the chains on the rear? I mean they could have easily said something like that "if you have only one set available, mount them on the front wheels instead of rear". But they specifically mention not to put the chains on the rear wheels.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread.

Seems like that the LR' recommendation of chains on the fronts only could be the good old legal liability issue, much like the advice given by most manufacturers about always putting the new tires on the fronts, if bought in set of two, even if the rear tires are more worn out. I read somewhere that this is to fight the statistical data which suggests that in accidents that occur due to loss of control, more often the cause is due to the loss of traction in the front wheels rather than that of in the rear wheels, etc.

I started to research snow chains for my LR4 and came across this thread, very helpful indeed. I was looking at the following accessories pdf on LR site and noticed that they have two different types (one page 5 and page 6), wonder whats really the difference or if anyone here has either of them.

http://www.landrover.com/content/us/accessories-kit-brochures/8-29-13_LR4_10.09.pdf

Also, just a thought, could there be a mechanical/technical or computer control related reason as to why the manual specifically mentions to not to put the chains on the rear? I mean they could have easily said something like that "if you have only one set available, mount them on the front wheels instead of rear". But they specifically mention not to put the chains on the rear wheels.

Has anyone gotten any official word from LR why they recommend chains on the front only. Also has anyone tried Thule snow chains? They have a bunch of models available when I put my 255/55/19 size in their selector.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note.

When I received my MY14 LR4 I actually had to sign a form stating that I would not drive with chains on the vehicle (no mention of front vs back). One of the many forms you have to sign for delivery. Since we never use chains out here I didn't think much of it at the time.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note.

When I received my MY14 LR4 I actually had to sign a form stating that I would not drive with chains on the vehicle (no mention of front vs back). On of the many forms you have to sign for delivery. Since we never use chains out here I didn't think much of it at the time.

Wow, thats really weird that they actually made you sign something like that.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since its a 4x4 as long as you have winter tires with some thread on them you shouldn't need chains and the reason only front its probably due to traction and steering

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two lr4s during last 4 years and never had to sign anything like this. Where r u located?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought two lr4s during last 4 years and never had to sign anything like this. Where r u located?

Bay area California.
I'll see if I can find a copy of the doc tonight as I don't recall the exact verbiage.
From memory it seemed like a "sign here that you won't do this" document.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its kinda stupid cuz 4x4 vehicle with winter tires don't need chains unless CHP deems it necessary. I got chains for my LR4 when I had the 19' with the conttis. The dealer only sold me the front pair all I needed he said.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72