New Discovery Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it too. Way nicer than the current LR2 and unlike the Evoque, you can probably see what is behind you out the rear window.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to like the current LR2; I think it drives great. If this new one drives like that, I think they'll have a huge hit. I certainly like it better than the over-priced Evoque (ymmv).

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front and rear view looks nice.
The side view looks like every other mid-size SUV on the road.

Big sunroof is nice. I hope it opens, you can't tell from the video.

I agree about squeezing in a 3rd row in a vehicle this small. They don't have a choice, though. People shop for cars by putting seating capacity into search engines. Without it, they'll get passed over...even if people never use the 3rd row they will want to buy a car with one.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's like the Evoque, the big sunroof will be standard, and won't open (there will probably be an extra cost, more traditionally sized opening sunroof among the options.) 40-50 grands for an "economy" crossover with a 4-banger engine, though... Wow. Prices of cars definitely aren't what they used to be. I was hoping they would at least introduce their new Ingenium engines with this model, but guess not for now. This looks like a carryover from the Evoque and old LR2.

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda like it. And compared to the Evoque, I feel like you get more bang for you buck sort of speak. I would get one for my wife and i would use it on weekends when i feel like saving some gas around town. 3rd row is a nice option when taking the kids and want to bring the grandparents along on short trips. For long trips the LR4 is the way to go. As for the four-banger ; We should probably look at it as far more sophisticated as it used to be. I know there is so much more technology that goes in to it compared to a standard 4 cylinder crossover. (especially with active diffs and driveline) There is no comparison.

Last edited:

marijono

Reaction score
I know it's not the same size/scale... but at my first glance, this reminds me of Ford Explorer with the blackened A-pilar, and wrap around blackened D-Pilar, and now that Explorer also employs the similar hood style.
The Disc Sport interior is definitely classier though.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An interesting "first look" review by real people (OK, British people, but hey, close enough :smile:), rather than auto industry press and internet trolls. They don't all get so hung up on looks alone like most of us seem to do on Land Rover enthusiasts forums and, instead of ******** about heritage and Ford and shopping malls and metrosexual types, they make some valid points about the actual car parked in front of them.

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: What Car? readers' preview of the 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport - YouTube

Last edited:

david_h

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my first post here, so glad about it!!
I've been a Volvo driver for 27 years; next year I am going to buy my first Land Rover ever, and it is going to be the new Discovery sport; I would have loved to have the Aintree green option for exterior color and almond/ebony for the interior, but those are not available for my SE version; I guess I will end up with the Kaikoura stone for exterior color, and cirrus/lunar for interior colors.

The only thing that worries me is that when you come to a complete stop the engine shuts down; since I know very little about this technology, I am kinda worried; does any one knows if there is an override for this functions?

As far as the knob for shifting gears, I guess one gets used to in a while, I guess it is not to bad; for those of you that are using similar system, would be nice to read your opinion.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome david_h. I recently had an Evoque loaner with the engine shut off feature. You barely notice it at all. And the Evoque does have a button you can push to disable the engine shut off feature. However, you do need to push it after every new engine start-up to disable it.

Not sure if the Discovery Sport will have the same override button, but I would expect it to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA