Anybody else getting gas <=$3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different octane measurement methods are used. In the US we average RON and MON at our pumps, while in most other parts of the world - including most of Europe and Middle East - straight RON is displayed, which produces octane ratings about 4-6 higher for the same type of fuel. A 97 octane (RON) equals about 91-93 octane (R+M/2) around here.

Interesting to know. Thanks!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just paid $2.60 a gallon for 97 yesterday in Virginia. Should probably be lower. I'm waiting for the first sub-$50 tank fill-up. Currently, it's mid-$50s. Was close to $80 18 months ago.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid me, I just filled up about an hour ago and completely forgot to look at the pump label.

I did find this:
http://www.woqod.com.qa/net/eng/business/business.aspx?i=819

Also on the Volkswagen Qatar website, it reads:
The octane number indicates the fuel’s "anti-knock rating". This is determined according to RON (Research Octane Number) under specific test conditions using precisely defined test engines. Regular fuel has the lowest rating at 91 RON, followed by Super fuel with 95 RON and, at the top end, Super Plus with a rating of 98 RON. The higher the octane number, the higher the self-ignition temperature of gasoline/petrol and the lower the knock tendency during combustion (self-ignition temperature of regular fuel 450-550 °C, Super fuel 480-700 °C).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the US, it should be listed on every pump.

I know that. I've lived in various countries and was just wondering if Qatar is using the European rating or US that's it. Simple curiosity and not a big deal at all.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep knew it wouldn't last long. I thought it was amusing, yet maddening, how some politicians, At state and fed levels, were already freaking out over their loss of tax revenue, on Both sides btw. Just show you how gamed the fuel and energy prices are. Grrrrr.

Notice the push to tax people who drive hybrid and electric cars for miles driven and how they back utility companies to charge higher rates for folks who supplement their electricity usage with solar? People get screwed no matter what they try...

Last edited:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back up to 3.40-3.60 in the southbay (not that I'm complaining), and still way cheaper than I expected when I purchased my lr4.

At least I bought in on an energy etf in the dip [emoji12]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72