Key FOB 'secrets'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get a class on how to use my IID tool. Got it link to my truck but haven't played with it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only used mine to disable TPMS and create a couple profiles for EAS height settings.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get a class on how to use my IID tool. Got it link to my truck but haven't played with it.

I've used it for my suspension, enable global close, digital speedo, DRL and a couple others.
I've also used it to slaughter my sat radio. LR had to install a new module after that. Best not to change the type of radio you have with the IIDTool.

Benner

Reaction score
You can jam it under the trigger of gas pumps without "auto hold" lever on the nozzle, so you don't have to keep squeezing the trigger manually while you refuel. :biggrin:

haha nice. Well at my local Costco gas they have those auto hold levers for some amazing reason...

Speaking of fobs, the latest version of IIDTool's firmware will allow LR4 owners to purchase compatible, new or used fobs and reprogram them on their own to operate their vehicle. No more spending hundreds of dollars at a dealer to purchase and program a new fob if you misplace one. Or, if you prefer the old design 2010-11 fob (or the newer 2012+ one), you can just find a used one on eBay and make it work with your car. New firmware with these features is currently beta testing and should be released soon to all owners if IIDTool.

Thanks, I'll have to look into this.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fobs, the latest version of IIDTool's firmware will allow LR4 owners to purchase compatible, new or used fobs and reprogram them on their own to operate their vehicle. No more spending hundreds of dollars at a dealer to purchase and program a new fob if you misplace one. Or, if you prefer the old design 2010-11 fob (or the newer 2012+ one), you can just find a used one on eBay and make it work with your car. New firmware with these features is currently beta testing and should be released soon to all owners if IIDTool.

oh snap really. I lost my key to the lr4 about 3 months ago. My wife has hers but it is really a pain to dig in her purse for her key all the time. Let us know when this firmware is released.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is this feature available yet on the IIDTool? I lost one of the key fobs on my 2011 LR4. I'm pretty sure it's in the house somewhere but it's been misplaced for over 2 years now. I decided I should probably get an extra one to be safe, but the dealer quoted me $465 for the key fob programmed, and then an additional $112 for the little metal key inside the key fob. So total it would be almost $600! YIKES!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The feature is available and works a treat. I recently purchased a used $35 fob on eBay in excellent conditions - it came off a 2012 Range Rover Sport, but the fobs are otherwise identical, save for the Range Rover engraving on the metal trim - and programmed it to my 2013 LR4 in about 1 minute: you enter the IIDTool menu routine and push the unlock button on the new/used fob a couple of times when prompted, that's it. An identical copy of your fob is ready and none of your other keys stop working, whether they are present during programming or not (you do need a working key in the car to start IIDTool and the programming session, of course.) I wish there was another routine within IIDTool to DISABLE a valid key, as far as I can tell you can only add new keys, you can't delete them from memory. Perhaps they will add that capability in the future.

I can now keep a spare fob at home and another one in the safe at the office, just in case... Net cost: $35.00. I don't really need an extra key blade to store in it, but if I wanted one I guess the expense of having it cut by a locksmith would be extra. Still beats $500 or more for a new key from a dealer. Programming one is so quick and easy, it must be child's play for a professional thief to clone these things.

Last edited:

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, owner's manual has the info...it's not something you would stumble upon. Accessory power or engine needs to be on AND turn on hazard lights. Exit car and make sure all doors are closed. Press and hold headlight button and then press and hold unlock button to raise vehicle or the headlight button and rear hatch button to lower vehicle as desired. Very helpful when hooking up a trailer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut