Pending LR4 purchase questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading our 06 LR3 SE for an LR4. Not sure I am sold on the new supercharged engine or the dial selector for the tranny, although the 8 speed ZF is very nice. Some quick questions:

Any material differences in equipment between 2011, 2012 and 2013? I searched and couldn't find a list of model year differences. We are looking at HSE or LUX. One big question is around the Nav system and BT audio streaming (upgrades post-2011 and whether BT streaming was available on '11s?)

If we were to go new, is it true that LR dealers cannot sell out of their region? I had one guy say absolutely not and another saying they can make it work if I give them our LR3 on trade.

Its been a while since I posted but have appreciated how helpful this forum as been when it comes to maintaining our LR3. Looking forward to the upgrade! Thanks in advance.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 had the introduction of the black design package, the two-color interior (arabica/almond). Other than that, and I believe a mild upgrade of the NAV (in '12 I think), that's about it beyond colors and wheel changes. But some here will certainly know more than I.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading our 06 LR3 SE for an LR4. Not sure I am sold on the new supercharged engine or the dial selector for the tranny, although the 8 speed ZF is very nice. Some quick questions:

Any material differences in equipment between 2011, 2012 and 2013? I searched and couldn't find a list of model year differences. We are looking at HSE or LUX. One big question is around the Nav system and BT audio streaming (upgrades post-2011 and whether BT streaming was available on '11s?)

If we were to go new, is it true that LR dealers cannot sell out of their region? I had one guy say absolutely not and another saying they can make it work if I give them our LR3 on trade.

Its been a while since I posted but have appreciated how helpful this forum as been when it comes to maintaining our LR3. Looking forward to the upgrade! Thanks in advance.

I think your call out about the Nav is the largest change between years. Having used both I recommend the newer one.

Having driven both the V8 and SCV6 (owned the 2014 SCV6) I would say there isn't really a noticeable difference. Nothing about the V8 made me wish I would have bought used. I would say that while the knob can be a pain when thinking about it having issues vs having a fixed lever, I actually liked the knob a lot as it gives a nice opening across the center console. It is very reflective in the sun, people seem to complain about his.

I think one thing to look for if you are trying to find a 2011 is to make sure the chain guides have been replaced. Pretty sure that was the only model year that had the issue (maybe late 2010 models).

As for selling New out of region it seems like most dealers will hold this line. I know my dealer was willing to go get me the one I wanted at another dealership when I purchased mine (they had one come in from a special order that someone didn't want). I think this is something that LR is pushing to keep people from getting vehicles and shipping them overseas. You will also have to have a background check, just FYI, when buying new.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated. Used pricing is definitely being inflated by lack of new inventory and dealer allocations - two dealers even sheepishly admitted their 201x models were otherwise overpriced for this reason.

The new V6 definitely doesn't feel as punchy as the V8, even with the benefit of the blower (bigger difference here in Colorado) and two extra cogs to keep it in the sweet spot. Also find the dial fiddly, but that is just me. As for the Nav, I doubt we will actually use that specific function but the menus seem snappier in the newer ones, and the ability to have BT streaming audio seems like it was new for 2012.

EpicLR4, was the chainguide issue a recall or just a part known to fail? Will have to research that further. Thanks again.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One big question is around the Nav system and BT audio streaming (upgrades post-2011 and whether BT streaming was available on '11s?)

colorover, I have a '11 LR4 HSE and it has BT phone connection that works pretty well but does NOT have BT audio streaming. That is UFB to me but there you have it. I bought a $35 aftermarket device that interfaces with the AUX port to provide very good BT phone/audio streaming functionality as my workaround. I don't use the LR's onboard BT phone function anymore.

I love this vehicle which was new to me as of this past March. I like the borderline obnoxious snarl when I first start the 5.0L V8, the traditional shifter and terrain response controls, and especially the small cubby on the center stack that I think went away in later models. Actually I like everything about this ride, even though there are a few bells and whistles I miss from my former cars, as well as a few quirks. But you're already a Landy Man so you know what I'm talking about. Good luck with your decision!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EpicLR4, was the chainguide issue a recall or just a part known to fail? Will have to research that further. Thanks again.

I believe it is a known TSB. I think we have discussed it somewhere else on here. I would have to search.

I just know when the dealer had my 2014 in the shop there had been a woman who had driven hers too long with the bad tensioners and they were having to replace the engine.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it said, but the only gripe I have of ordering my 2012 was that I didn't buy a Lux. I'm a little disappointed in the way the HSE leather has held up. The quality is really sub par. The only regret I have.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 NAV doesn't have the BT audio streaming?? That's high on my list to find. Does the 2012 models have it?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say the lack of BT streaming is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. Would prefer the snappier menus though. Going to try to get a deal done but going to get a PPI to check on the chain tensioner as well as general condition. Then maybe back in the saddle with a 4 - :beer:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say the lack of BT streaming is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. Would prefer the snappier menus though. Going to try to get a deal done but going to get a PPI to check on the chain tensioner as well as general condition. Then maybe back in the saddle with a 4 - :beer:

Good luck with the PPI. Forgot to ask if the '11 is still under warranty? Aside from the obvious engine/drivetrain checks, there are a few other odd things I would point out. Have your guy look at the rubber cowling at the base of the windshield. Mine started to dimple in the middle and was replaced under warranty. Also check the operation of the 3rd row seats as you deploy and then stow them. The receiver for the seat belt buckle is supposed to lay flat when you put the seats down. On some vehicles this mechanism is faulty and the receiver stays pointing up which forces you to reach in with your fingers to push it down (against spring tension) while simultaneously locking the seat down the final few inches. Not a big deal, but one of these days it's gonna cause a nice finger pinch. I'm due to get that fixed on my last warranty visit (I'm at 45K now).

PS: Let us know if you get the '11. I will share details of my BT workaround if you haven't already seen it on this forum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA