Nav and Radio Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaRebell

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am new to the LR3's, just bought a 2008 LR3 HSE. It's green and looks great, I think!! I have a question for the ones that know, today my radio and Nav would both go out, turn off/ no lights or sound, after a min or two after the cranking. Has anyone had this trouble or know how I can fix. I really enjoy working on things my self. Will post some pics when I get her cleaned and ready!
Thanks for the help in advance. Look forward to the board and getting to know everyone!!

LaRebell

Reaction score
Radio and Nav

Hello all!

I noticed a lot of people have read my post. I may have found my solution. First, let my tell everything that is going on. I can go crank my lr3 and one time I have fault codes on everything, 6 I think, from transmission, engine, Brakes nothing on the dash board working. The next time I would crank it nothing would be wrong. Everything was intermitted. Another time I would get a low cooling level. The person I bought the lr3 from said its one or two things causing the problems.
1) Bad battery - had it checked today. All Good!!

2) Bad Brake light switch. He is overnighting me one. We will see!!

Went to the parts store today and had the codes pulled. Pulled 2 codes for the brakes. We may be on to something here.

After I get the switch installed, will tell my findings. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for checking my post.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake light switch

It is possible that the brake light switch is the problem. Even if replacing it does not solve the problem, your money will not have been wasted as the switch is a problem waiting to happen - a new one is good preventive maintenance.

The link below has a number of files related to the switch. To open the link, copy, paste, and remove the three extra spaces inserted to bypass the blocking.

http://www.disco3 .co .uk /gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

Another problem can be that the single big connector that plugs into the rear of the instrument panel has to be unplugged and plugged back in. For some reason, while the plug can appear tight, it gets a bit loose and some of the pins do not conduct. The vehicle computers backup memory chip is on the instrument Printed Circuit Board and when communication is lost or intermittent, the 3 gets very unhappy. Often the temperature gauge needle will not function and that is a hint as to a connector problem.

Also you probably should not have a low coolant level warning light ever as at least for 2005/06, LR deactivated that function rather than fix/replace the float switch in the expansion tank. Maybe by 2008, however, they did do the fix but the light illuminating makes me wonder if the instrument panel PCB connector might be loose. I know, loose should logically mean no illumination, but the 3 is not a normal vehicle, and the people who drive and fix them definitely are not either.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bbyer, can you please elaborate about the LOW COOLANT light being de-activated? Did they do this via TSB? I have a 2005 (probably mid-to-late build) and I'd like to know where I stand.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no TSB - more subtle than that

You ask an interesting question.

The story I best like re the operation of the Low Coolant Level warning light circuit being suspended is as follows:

LR introduced the D3 in 2004 in the UK and then into the North America market for 2005. By then, LR was noticing that under warranty, (very bad), they were having to replace for free an unusual number of coolant expansion tanks due to the low level float absorbing fluid, hence getting heavy, and then triggering a false warning. As the float was within the tank, it was not possible to replace only the float, hence the warranty requirement fix being to replace the tank.

Given the vehicles had a four year warranty on most parts, much thought was given to developing a less expensive fix than tank replacement.

The solution, and I must say, it was brilliant, as it was a no cost fix, was when the general fleet wide software upgrade that was applied to all early production vehicles was released, (in 2006 I think), additional code was written to write out the Low Coolant Level function. As such, there was henceforth no need to replace the tanks as now regardless of fluid level or float condition, the light on the dash would never again show a false, (or true), indication.

This code was also included into factory production and I assume continued until a new float material was introduced. While I do not know for certain, I presume from about 2007 on, the tanks are now OK. Someone on the board may beable to provide some info on that.

I still have the original tank in my 2005 and I presume that even if I installed a new tank with I presume an improved float, there still would not be any low fluid level signals acknowledged by the now old software. To get the low fluid level sensor to now operate, I presume that I would have to overwrite the current software with something newer. As to what the newer software would be, I have no information.

The link below has a bit on the subject. As usual copy, paste, and remove the three extra blank spaces I added to bypass the blocking.

http://www.disco3 .co .uk /forum/topic87081.html

http://www.disco3. co. uk /forum/topic112939.html?highlight=low+coolant+level

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's a lame solution. I have a buddy that recently overheated his LR3 (yes, he fried the engine). I will have to ask him if he ever got a "LOW COOLANT" message. I don't remember what year his vehicle is but I believe it's an '06.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my NAV computer, clock and tripometer resetting...

Turned out it was nothing more than a loose negative battery cable...

I would double-check that...

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though it is slightly off topic from the OP, if you have an IID tool, then you can enable the low coolant warning function through the CCF. I did this a few months ago and I can tell you that the warning indicator was set to "off" from the factory and I have a 2006.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wonder if this would work for an '05? Based on what bbyer told us, I'm curious how that would work. Would it cause a ton of false alerts? How is it working for you, cmb?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the few months I've had it enabled, I haven't seen the warning light/message come on. I'm kind of curious to see what it looks like (but really don't want to tempt fate with that comment). Of course, I'm just about at the minimum level in my coolant reservoir right now, so I wonder at what point it will trip the message.

It certainly would have been nice to know that my coolant level was low when my plastic bleed tee broke and all my coolant came pouring out of it. Of course, there were many other signs to tell me what happened, but it would have been nice to know as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72