LR3 Hesitation during take offs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obrienjas

Reaction score
2005 LR3 122K miles,
Bought LR3 several months ago and have noticed that there seems to be a surprisingly long hesitation when I roll to a stop and take off and or just take off from a stop. It will **** enough to be very noticeable, Is this normal? The computer was updated with a new patch to supposedly fixed a known issue with this a while back before I bought the vehicle. Anyone have same issues and or some thoughts on this?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the throttle body. Check the filter and sparkplugs.

obrienjas

Reaction score
Tx what filter are you referring to, AIR? Also, have you had this experience before and done the above work and fixed the issue.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this issue since I bought my 2008 LR3 HSE (used). Each time I took it to the dealership (while under warranty) and my independent shop they checked the transmission codes but otherwise had no idea what was causing the issue. Worse, they couldn't duplicate it. I usually run into the problem while in the typical commuter traffic here in the Boston area. Rapid deceleration for round-about or merging in high traffic lanes immediately followed by rapid acceleration to get into traffic. It seems like it shuts down - nothing happens for 1-2 seconds (which out here is dangerous!) and then it kicks in and jumps forward. I've had this same problem accelerating from stop signs/lights. No matter how gently and smoothly I try to apply pressure it does the same damn thing.
I would really like to resolve it once and for all! The usual response I got was that was how these drive. Never had a car that had such a lag! Even the loaner LR2's didn't have this lag.

schwaggy

Reaction score
OK - so, have you cleaned the throttle body or had the transmission adaptations reset?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the mechanics do what they needed. I think it covered all of that.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned my throttle body and it fixed several issues related to acceleration, idle etc.

Awesome helpful post! Thank you.

My lr3 has been doing the hesitation thing much more lately.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of other things I tried with my 2005 when I had it...

Disconnect the battery (both terminals) then clip the + and - cables (NOT THE BATTERY TERMINALS) together for about 10 minutes. This supposedly will reset your computer and driving habits. This actually worked for me...

The other is to start and drive your LR3 in Sport mode for three driving sessions (key on then off) this supposedly resets as well. Have not tried this one...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, don't roll to almost a stop then accelerate. This is known to confuse the HP26 transmission. It gets stuck between 1st and 2nd gear and hesitates. Come to a full stop then accelerate.

Our old Q7 had the same transmission and "rolling stops" were even more dangerous with that vehicle.

The HP26 adapts to driving style so if you drive it more aggressive out of the driveway and down your street it will shift quicker all day long. Of course your neighbors will think you drive like a maniac and are trying to run over their kids.

Supposedly on Audis with the same transmission, you can reset it by turning on the vehicle, but do not start it, then fully depress and release the gas pedal before starting. Never tried it but many claim it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV