Fed Seize Illegally Imported Land Rovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard about this from a friend who owns a Defender import. (legal import, he hopes!) Haven't seen it posted here so thought I'd share it. (By the low activity on the Defender board I'm guessing there are more popular forums for Defender specific discussion)

This past week, however, over 40 vintage Land Rover owners received a rude awakening. As part of a sting operation, police and federal investigators visited private residences early Tuesday morning to seize illegally imported vehicles. In most cases, investigators informed owners of the issue and took away the vehicles. But for one unlucky Rover owner, the Feds tracked down and picked up the illegal vehicle at a residence not even listed on the title. All of the VIN fudging that’s ensued to legitimize the Rovers has backfired on a few unsuspecting owners–one man reported that officials insisted his vehicle was a 2000 model year when it was clearly a 1983 Defender 110. The man claimed to have bought the Rover legally last year in New York, completely unaware that there would be any question concerning its legality.

7/21/2014 - Hide Your Keys: Feds Crack Down on Illegally Imported Land Rovers

7/20/2014 - US Customs is Cracking Down on Imported Land Rovers

This video is from last year when a vehicle was seized and crushed. Again, must be old news for those in the know, but was my first time seeing it. It is sad but WORTH A WATCH if you have not seen it. This guy really goes out of his way to not only destroy the vehicle, but make sure no parts are salvageable....
Feds destroy an illegally imported Land Rover Defender

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely crazy in my eyes. I've seen people posting this kind of stuff on the Facebook page and I guess I never cared too much to research the whole situation.

My question is... why are the Defenders illegal to import? Just for the safety regulations?

I understand and can appreciate that our fine country has safety standards... but c'mon man!! How is an enclosed 4 wheel vehicle less safe than an open two wheel motorcycle?

This type of ***** and regulation just raises my blood pressure. Again, I'm just reading the cover of the book and haven't looked into this whole situation, so I'm sure I may be missing some important factors.

What the hell is the point of crushing these fine vehicles though?
Thanks for sharing... maybe someone can shed some light as to why any of this may make the slightest of sense.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good questions. I don't have the answers...just this one-

They are being seized, and in some cases destroyed, because they have been illegally imported. A guy got busted over in the UK and was found to have a significant business building up cars, changing VINs and finding loopholes to import them into the U.S. (i.e. Taking the VIN from a year/engine that is allowed for import and putting it on a car that is not approved for import) Allegedly, this was also tied to a car theft ring so it is possible that many of the cars imported were built up with stolen parts.

Now, there is a 2nd issue regarding actual rationale why a factory original car (no stolen parts, no engine swaps) can't be imported legally, I'm not sure. There are only certain model years and/or engines approved for import. I don't think it has anything to do with passenger/driver safety, but like you, it's just what I've heard. I have not researched it.

Can someone "in the know" shed some light on this?

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the defender can't be imported due to safety regulations. They are not equipped with air bags and probably a few other things and if they did meet safety regulations then the diesel probably could not be sold here. Similar to the LR4 diesel not being sold here. The engine doesn't meet the new standards.

As for the years that are allowed. Anything 25 years and older can be imported. I believe this is because you vehicle is considered an antique when it's older than 25 years. Similar concept if you had an American vehicle older than 25 years and switched it to be an antique at the DMV to pay lower registration fees.

Not sure of all the details but I believe these are the main reasons.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely crazy in my eyes. I've seen people posting this kind of stuff on the Facebook page and I guess I never cared too much to research the whole situation.

My question is... why are the Defenders illegal to import? Just for the safety regulations?

I understand and can appreciate that our fine country has safety standards... but c'mon man!! How is an enclosed 4 wheel vehicle less safe than an open two wheel motorcycle?

This type of ***** and regulation just raises my blood pressure. Again, I'm just reading the cover of the book and haven't looked into this whole situation, so I'm sure I may be missing some important factors.

What the hell is the point of crushing these fine vehicles though?
Thanks for sharing... maybe someone can shed some light as to why any of this may make the slightest of sense.

It isn't that they are illegal to import. The US has a 25 year import rule. Anything over 25 is eligible. Anything less than 25 years can be imported if on a specific list (forget the name) and it is modified to the specifics of our market.

The issue here is that unscrupulous importers and blokes in the UK or elsewhere who have been taking advantage of our lack of Defenders for years, and importing "rebuilt" or otherwise new Defenders with non matching VIN's (engine, chassis, etc) or trucks that were stolen overseas or built/rebuilt with stolen truck parts. All to make some easy money off our desire to own Defenders. This seizure is the result of one particular importer. Still plenty of legit 25 year old trucks coming ashore, this has to do with one of many bad apples.

As far as crushing them. It is criminal and ridiculous. Part them out or do something capitalistic (turn them into special park service vehicles for instance). Anything but the crusher.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didn't realize most of what you explained. Especially the criminalistic activity behind this...

I think we can all agree that the crushing still doesn't make complete sense!

nickcaraux

Reaction score
I think the safety regulations aren't being applied when these Land Rovers are illegally imported. It's big business alright, i guess it has to do with not paying the proper taxes to import cars and maybe paying off people so these illegal activities can operate. If it keeps growing, legal dealers and manufacturers would suffer as it also creates imbalance in the trade.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA