Opinions on this Discovery II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smakdown61

Reaction score
Brand new to the forums and the world of Discos. Looking to get something to use as a utility vehicle (not a DD) with the occasional off-roading trip. That being said, I've been doing some local craigslist searches and came across a 2004 Disco SE with 176k miles for $4k. I have a friend who has started coaching me on the various issues to look for with these things.

Not afraid of the maintenance although with my current situation it may be difficult to go deep hands for a few months (by deep I mean motor rebuilds). The 2004 I'm looking at has been maintained by a local Rover shop and has had no major repairs required. Only items done recently beyond normal fluid changes were brakes, radiator, plug wires.

I've been told the lack of major service can be good and bad. As in, the front drive shaft could be close to failure if still running the non-serviceable u joints. Also looks like its very rare to see the motors on these last over 150k without needing a rebuilt.

Do you think a good maintained one of these still has some time left before a major engine overhaul is required at this mileage? I'm not sure I want to drop 4k and then have the motor/tranny blow the next month. Other issues like driveshaft, leaks, etc.. I can deal with.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... it can go either way honestly. I wouldn't drop 4k on a rover with 176k miles on it, but that is me. If the vehicle is in very good condition and your happy with it go for it. Issues on rovers can come up like any other vehicle.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mileage is too high for a 04, I have a 99 with only 120,000 miles.
How mechanical are you, do you have at least an extra $1000 or so for some serious maintance plus the extra break down funds cause this will be getting into the high repair bills.
As for being told what to look for, be very careful, there is lots of advice out there and most of it is not good. You would be alot better of paying a good Rover mechanic a $100 or so to do a prepurchase inspection along with a compression test do to the high mileage.

Kildaere

Reaction score
I'd say that price is too high for that mileage. I recently bought a very well maintained '03 SE with 121k miles for $3800. I'd keep looking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut