Terrifying brake pads consumption!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shehab

Reaction score
Hello everyone :hello:

I own a 2010 LR4 and on June of last year I posted a thread asking about the brakes here:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26152

Then, one month later, I replaced the brake pads and disks from a Land Rover dealer, the cost was around 950$ :hmpf:

But just 4 days ago, I saw the brake pads warning, and I said to myself: this must be a mistake, there's no way they've worn out this quickly.

Next day, I took the car out again and the warning didn't show up, and I said,

"I knew it!!The brakes are still fine" but after 10 mins, the warning showed up again, this time I stepped outside the car and examined the brakes myself,

What I saw shocked me :eek: !! The pads were almost gone!!

Is this normal? I mean, I only changed them 7 months ago!!!

And my everyday errands only goes for like 30 miles, 40 tops.

I know this car weighs 3 tons, and eats up its brakes faster than most cars but even so, parts like braking pads shouldn't worn out this quickly.

Could it be that the pads I bought 7 months ago were 2nd degree quality?

And if so, how can I recognize the top quality ones?

Thank you in advance :smile: .

Last edited:

aj22

Reaction score
How many miles and what type of driving? The number of months isn't relevant.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if the 30-40 miles a day is correct, that's no more than 8500 miles - which would be crazy. I've never figured out in all these years of ownership and forum watching how some people go through brakes as quick as they do. I don't think I've ever in 20 years and 6 LRs had brake pads go faster than maybe 35-40k. I'm currently half way through my second set at about 75000 miles. Maybe I just drive like an old lady??

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still doing my research, but if I buy an LR4, based on my minimum yearly milage, then I know I will have to plan on replacing brakes pads just about once a year...some years I may go without...unless I'm roverman..LOL!

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every 12-18K is the numbers Ive been hearing.....

I take my assupmtion back...Im forgetting that this thing will be MY daily driver, not my wifes...I may be changing brakes 2 or3 times a YEAR!!!

Thats not gonna work.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 30k miles and 2.5 years with the original pads/rotors. I don't drive especially easy, have about 1K lbs of extra accessories on the truck and live in the suburbs of Boston and drive in traffic and highway.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shehab, what are the environmental conditions where you drive in Yemen? Desert, sand, arid conditions? Paved/unpaved roads? There must be some other key to this premature brake wear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi