Help! Electrical issues/not cranking in cold..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKE501

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a 98 Discovery with 102,000 miles. The day I bought it everything worked fine with the exception of the back windows and dash lights. The next day there was no heat. I believe it may need a new thermostat as it has been cool and would not show a high temp with the weather. Also, I believe the heat issue may be related to this?

My question though is after sitting in my garage for a couple of days we have had an extremely cold day for Alabama (Freezing temperatures) and it will not even turn over. Is this because of the temperature? I have read similar posts before, but I'm not sure.

It has just been a weird series of events from working, to no heat, to not even turning or trying to crank within a weeks time. Any help would be appreciated!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Back window will be cracks in the solder on the Window ECU. Not heat could be low on Antifreeze or bad t-stat.... No crank after cold could be just a bad battery. If you turn the key on and the clock resets to 12:00 or the radio loses function then bad battery.

TKE501

Reaction score
Joey,

Thank you! The battery was bad. I figured out the back light always stays on and drained the new battery. Also, I have a thermostat ordered and will keep you updated when it arrives.

I do have a question though. I soldered the ECU and regained power in the rear drivers window. I still do not have a working rear passenger window or rear sunroof. When I reconnect the battery the rear passenger door makes a clicking noise for a second and stops. Any thoughts?

Thank You,
TKE501

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I answered questions in other thread. Sorry I don't get on here but a couple times a day right now. Searching for employment is a slightly higher priority.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72