Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Specification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the specs on the replacement washers?

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the specs on the replacement washers?

Hey Charles - Its been a while!

Difffs and xfer case are very easy. I did mine a month ago with my 13 year old son helping. I did use fluids from the dealer - there aren't many (if any) options.

Neither diff has a washer - use thread sealer on the drain plug.

The xfer case... I re-used the washer and have checked it quite a few times since. No leaks. The bolts don't torque like normal - they go from tight to loose in about 1/4 of a turn, so be careful, it'll pop loose on you quick.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can royal purple or amsoil fluids be used in the Transfer case verses the Shell TF0753?

Transfer Case: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) or Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle); 1.6 quarts

Differentials: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 0.65 quart for the front and 1.6 quarts for the rear (locker)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would do well to up-grade toa an 85W/140 oil for better wear protection and quieter gears.
This is made as a regular gear oil and a synthetic, you will nee 7 quarts to do the 3 units.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Mike,

Are you saying that you're OK with using aftermarket fluids in the diff & t-case?

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Are you saying that you're OK with using aftermarket fluids in the diff & t-case?

I used Royal Purple 75w 90 Gear Oil one week ago today for my front diff and also my rear electonic locking diff. So far so good. I've got to the dealship tomorrow for a air con service and I plan on asking the tech about the gear oil to get his opinion on it. I'll post what he says.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh!

You guys are going to wear me down to to point that it's easier to to just give the instructions.

Front Differential:
1. Remove engine skid plate
2. Clean area around drain and fill plugs, remove fill plug
3 Remove drain plug, drain fluid
4. Install drain plug; up to serial number 254845, tighten hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft), from serial number 254836, tighten 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Fill with 0.61 litres (1.07 pints) (0.64 US quarts) Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 (LRN 7591)
CAUTION: Do not use the fill plug as a level, fill with the correct quantity
6. Tighten filler plug to 34Nm (25 lb-ft)
7. Reinstall engine skid Plate.

Rear Differential:
1. Raise and support vehicle
WARNING: do not work under a vehicle supported by a jack
CAUTION: Do not undo or remove the large protruding hexagonal on the differential casing.
2. Clean the area around the differential fill plug and drain plug, remove the fill plug
3. Position container to collect fluid, remove the drain plug. Drain fluid
4. Install drain plug. Up to differential serial number 254325, tighten the hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft) from differential serial number 254326, tighten the 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28 Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Refill with correct fluid and quantity;
Open unit: Castrol SAF - XO 75W/90 LRN 7591 1.1 Litres (2.3 US pints)(1.16 US Quarts)
Electronic torque managed differential: Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus LRN500070
1.5 litres (3.17 US pints) (1.6 US quarts)
CAUTION: make sure correct specification and quantity of oil is used
7. Install filler plug and tighten to 34Nm (25lb-ft)

Transfer case Draining and Filling

1. Raise and support vehicle (note the warning)
2. position a container to collect fluid
3. Clean area around fluid drain plug, remove plug and discard the sealing washer.
4. Allow fluid to drain
5. Clean component mating faces, install a new sealing washer, install drain plug and tighten to 22Nm (16lb-ft)
6. Remove the filler/level plug, clean the immediate are and discard the sealing washer
7. Refill transfer case with Shell TF 0753, LRN0753, until the fluid is level with the bottom of the filler/level plug hole. (1.5 litres)(2.6 US pints)(1.5 US quarts)
8. Install the fluid filler/level plug with a new sealing washer and tighten to 22Nm (16l lb-ft)

Not a difficult job. You will need some kind of pump to get the fluid into the filler holes. The discount auto stores sell a cheap pump that screws onto the oil containers. Be prepared for a lot of leakage if you use one of these things

Well i had serial #55441 on rear diff bit it had the hex plug instead of 3/8. Was i ok tightening it at 40ft lbs like it says for the hex plug or should i of stuck with 21 ft lbs as if it were the 3/8 plug?

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer Case: Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) or Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle); 1.6 quarts

Differentials: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (part #01300, quart bottle); 0.65 quart for the front and 1.6 quarts for the rear (locker)

I called Royal Purple and they also confirmed The Shell TF0753 equivalent is The Synchromax. They also told me that the cross reference chart on there website is outdated so call them for LR fluid cross references.

Amsoil has a complete Fluid cross reference chart for the Land Rovers.
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2009+LAND ROVER+LR3+5

Last edited:

Earing2008

Reaction score
I apologize if it was already discussed but what is the forum's recommended milage for replacing the fluides? Kwlr3 started the post with his 75,000 service but should it be done sooner? I'm coming up on 50,000 and I thought I remember someone recommending to do it then. I think we've got the fluid type and volumes nailed down :smile: Thank you for all the details!

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would do well to up-grade toa an 85W/140 oil for better wear protection and quieter gears.
This is made as a regular gear oil and a synthetic, you will nee 7 quarts to do the 3 units.

Are you saying that on the LR3, it would be better to replace the fluids in the Front and Rear Diffs as well as the Transfer case with 85W/140 gear oil?
I live in So Cal so there is not really extreme climate temps.

Thanks..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA