Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information. We are looking to get some sort of hybrid. What braking system do these trailers usually have? We have surge on our boat and electric on my wife's horse trailer (obviously dangerous but the electric got disconnected for a while without us knowing and it still stopped fine), LR4 does great with both, not sure if it's related to the towing we do but my rear wheel bearing went out and I hadn't heard or seen that being a common problem.

We have a 2016 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid and pulled it last year. It does have electronic brake. I use a Prodigy 3 that was installed by my Land Rover dealer. Works well.

BTW, we are going to sell our hybrid as we decided to go with a hard side. If you're interested. ;-)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to add the Rhino hitch to your short list, consider.

When I picked up the LR4 it still had P-rated standard spec tires. When towing my trailer with OEM hitch I did 'feel' the rear tire sidewalls flex. Why wouldn't they considering added trailer weight, camping 'stuff' loaded in cargo area, etc. Overall I was heavier with more load on rear axle. More 'flex', more sway in my book.

If you are going to truly use your LR4 for camping, offroad, etc the standard spec tires are a joke. I upgraded to LR3 10-spokes with spacers and load range E tires. Sidewall flex gone. Truck rides better under load. Trailer tows better.

Add load range E to your short list, just under Rhino hitch. Maybe above.

Done and done. Rhino hitch received. I put BFG KO2s on in March. (I already had Compomotive wheels but last year I had P tires.) I'll likely run them up to 60 or 65 when towing but I do need to find out where the sweet spot is for those tires when towing with a hitch weight around 700 lbs.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 460.

At 750 you are near the top of the LR OEM rating. (97% ?) Not sure what the Rhino is but do know it is limited by the LR4. It is class IV but the LR4 is class III.

Running at the top end of specs is never a good thing.

One data point I found is that using the gross axle weights. These was on yet another thread on trailer weights and the LR4:

The LR4 has 4090lb max rear axle load. With vehicle curb weight being 5659lb plus 4 passengers (we'll always have only 2) and some cargo (~550lb total - we actually run about 300# in the TV) and 49.1/50.9 front and rear weight ratio, my calculation shows about 3200lb (for us it would be less than 3K) will be placed on the rear and that leaves about 920lb and I think that's enough to support 800lb tongue weight even without the weight distribution hitch. With weight distribution hitch, some of 800lb weight will be transferred to front axle so that leaves more room for rear axle to handle. So with correct hitch, even 900lb tongue weight shouldn't be an issue.

That said, I plan to keep the hitch weight under 700. I am hearing back from more owners of the trailer we are going to buy (actually bought but won't pick up until next week) that with common sense loading they are getting the tongue weight at around 640#. The maximum gross vehicle weight for that trailer is 6,000 and we don't expect to see it above 5,500 given how we travel.

So my plan is to
  • keep our tongue weight under 700. (Just received a Sherling tongue weight scale which has been used by other owners at least during the first year to monitor their tongue weight while/after loading.)
  • install the Rhino hitch. (Purchased and received)
  • use an Andersen sway control and weight distribution hitch which will arrive tomorrow. (I don't plan to overcook the WD function but a little bit may help and the sway control may help. Its a pretty simple system.)
  • already have LT, E-rated tires (KO2s)

We'll see how it goes. BTW, the trailer we bought is a Lance 2285.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Cancel that. Just heard about an issue with at least a couple of the Rhino hitches. (Ask Todd) Looks like I'll need to resort to the Curt hitch I used last year and put my spare back on the roof. Darn.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull this lite wt. 3500 lbs with my lr3, Eckhart hitch welded to the frame, no anti sway its irrelevant with the lr3 towing capability. Over the rockies in the snow twice in the last year Tows like a dream,

How does the Eckhart receiver work, what towing class (trailer/tongue weight - your isn't as heavy as mine) is it rated for and does it allow you to store your full size spare in its normal location? It looks like it is a "weld on".

Diesel101

Reaction score
Eckhart is welded to the frame where the spare would go, No matter to me because I run 275/65/18 with johnson rods so the full size spare go on the roof. Hitch s rated 5000lbs.
Trailer tows like its not there, cruse control most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV