LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it did, we'll have to wait and see. Unlike the new Sport though, it looks like the spare wheel will still be stowed under the car.

I haven't looked at the new sport. Where is the tire one that model? Is it full size?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, it looks like what I expected it to look like. Sad to see the asymmetric tailgate go.

I hope it's a good car, but I suspect it will be priced much higher than the current one. God knows they had ages to work on the redesign. For my part, I am glad I grabbed a late 2013 ordered just how I wanted it. I hope it remains good to me as I plan on keeping it indefinitely. I think it may not look modern anymore, but Discos (and LR's in general) have always had a lot of character and I think 10 years from now, my 2013 will look like a classic.

I recall when I was looking to buy my LR4 (early 2013) people were remarking that maybe the next gen would be released later that year as a 2014. When we found the 2014 would have the V6, people said it was a 1 year thing. I knew there was no way that would be the case and that the motor & facelift was meant to buy them 2-3 years at least. Here we are with the LR5 as what I assume will be a late 2017 model if not an early 2018 model.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the new sport. Where is the tire one that model? Is it full size?

In the trunk, under the floor along with the battery. I don't think any Sport comes with a full size spare anymore (optional 5+2 seaters don't even include a compact donut, as the "+2" seats occupy that space. You get a can of fix-a-flat, a small air compressor... and a prayer), but a full size spare does fit in that well if you want to fit one. Probably not an oversized spare, though.

Last edited:

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is because I am getting older and liking tradition more and more, but it feels as if they are straying away from the traditional/iconic Discovery. I am not talking about modernizing and making it more advanced and safer.

It is the overall feel and design. It is losing its tailgate, alpine roof, etc. It has always been a big dumb elephant lumbering along capturing anything in its path. I feel like it is becoming politically correct.

I like the looks of these latest pictures. It is a great looking vehicle and I am sure it will be great. I would consider it in the future. However, it is not a Discovery - it is another LR model.

The wrangler is another one waiting to be destroyed. The fenders, grill, lights etc are icons of the Wrangler. They tried once to put square lights and it was a disaster. The 911 is another icon that remains.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover is presumably shifting models away from the utilitarian look to make room for the new Defender.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover is presumably shifting models away from the utilitarian look to make room for the new Defender.

I am hearing a similar sentiment from my dealer. And that the Defender will have a bit more luxury and comfort while being their model focused on people who take it off road. Of course, the price might be a bit higher than the LR4!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hearing a similar sentiment from my dealer. And that the Defender will have a bit more luxury and comfort while being their model focused on people who take it off road. Of course, the price might be a bit higher than the LR4!

Yep. LR wants three model lines: Range Rover, Discovery, and Defender. I'm guessing there will be a "Defender Sport" somehow. Not sure if that will be the convertible option, a truck option, or what. I hope it's not a sleeked-back "sporty" option like the other model lines.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cr-aaaaaaap.... and how long would we have to wait for the Defender if the LR5 is a 2017/2018 release?

Curious to see the Defender, though. LR does take their time with new models.

Hopefully Brexit doesn't muck up any release schedules. :eek:

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The already mucked with the stock market. Class action brewing somewhere I'm sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick