LR4 Smart Key Not Found TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arogin

Reaction score
smart key and other issues

this has now happened to me 3 times, and my LR4 (alaska white, black interior, lux package) has 2200 miles on it.

the keys have been replaced twice, along with a host of electrical stuff and software updates.

the first time was "smart key not found", and it got towed.

the second time was "smart key not found", then it started, i drove it for two miles and i had what the dashboard referred to as "system failure". nav, radio, terrain response, everything shut off, car was towed again.

third time was yesterday. got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it, got back in, car finally started after 20 minutes, with the "smart key not found" warning light on the whole time i was driving it. going back to LR again today to try to get it sorted out. i knew going into this that land rovers were not the most reliable cars, but this is crazy.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since it doesnt appear tobe an issue with the keys or with the software, have them check the electrical connections in the dash. something in there is probably not connected well. that was the problem with my similar issues. good luck.

TD6

Reaction score
Yes, I do have this problem "smart key not found" message, many times
2010 LR4 12000 km, but I don't want to go to dealer so they will not take my car a part.
So I solve this temporary issue by pressing open botton on the smart key and then start the car ok

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a lose lose situation IMO LR loses a customer, Customer loses out on driving the LR.

Although you were terribly inconvienced, they did stand behind the product and offered you a new car. I'd have to say that would have been enough for me and i can guarantee you it would not have been that easy with many other type cars.

Good luck with CX.

j

rrr8400

Reaction score
Now we can add the "smart key not detected" problem to our list of things we have had go wrong with our 2010 HSE Lux LR4. With only 8K miles on it, the "service required" light came on last week so we took it into the dealer. They performed an oil and filter change and reset the indicator for no charge. They asked if we had any problems with the smart key because they had noticed it while they had it. We have occasionally received the message, but waiting 15 sec or so and trying again always resulted in success. It usually happened when my wife was slow getting into the car with the key and I was driving and so we didn't think anything of it. They wanted to keep the car and check it out further but being the day before Xmas eve we wanted to pick it up and return next week which they said would be fine. Well my wife drives the car home and when she gets home she can't lock it. It totally does not recognize the fob. Can't start it and holding it on the steering column does nothing. Call the dealer back and they ask if we can bring it in the next day -- well of course we can't since it won't start. So they say they will call us back in the AM. Had to use the physical key to lock the doors. In the morning the service manager actually comes to our house with some TSB in hand and by removing some fuses, waiting and replacing them is able to get it started. He says that means our keys have to be replaced and of course that will be the middle of the next week at the earliest due to the holiday. So we've had a loaner since.

Has anybody had this problem successfully remedied by replacing keys? Sounds like a lot of people have had loose wires by reading this board. It is just so strange that it happened right after it was at the dealer. They say they did nothing but the oil change and reset the indicator....

Though we love driving this car (when it goes I guess) I have to say we are starting to regret the purchase. So far we've had the RSE need to be replaced, the middle rear seat stuck down twice by the seatbelt requiring it to be replaced (and I would not be the least bit surprised if it happened again), now this key problem - so far the most serious as it renders the car undriveable. I would have expected more from a $60K+ car with only 8K miles on it. It is our first Land Rover and are pretty disappointed.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask, what the hell is wrong with a regular key to start one's car? All car-makers have gone "key-less" for the sake of human-being laziness.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask, what the hell is wrong with a regular key to start one's car? All car-makers have gone "key-less" for the sake of human-being laziness.

Yes, but that's not what he paid for. That said, I'm not too high on it either given it's another battery powered device that sucks when it dies. Imagine the key fob battery dies during a rain storm and you have to do the whole popping the flimsy key hole cover off without breaking it, which I was told happens easily if you're not careful.

rrr8400

Reaction score
Believe me if we had a choice we would have went for a physical key. Unfortunately the car makers include keyless entry as part of their high end packages. All it does is cause problems in my opinion. I know someone who dropped their wife off at the train station and didn't realize until he got to a gas station that she had the key fob in her bag and couldn't restart his car... But we have had two other cars with keyless entry and never had an issue like the LR4 which is beyond a dead fob battery.

mthota

Reaction score
This is a bit dated, but thought I'd share since the symptoms were very similar with my 2010 LR4. Has about 90,000.

1. I see message that the Tyre Pressure sensors are malfunctioning or some such.
2. Within seconds, my AC goes off. I now notice all my dash lights are gone.
3. Pull over from freeway to a gas station. Cannot recall if the turn indicator lights are working.
4. I turn off ignition and it will not start again. I get the Smart Key not found message.
5. I do a battery reset - remove both the terminals and then short the terminals. Connect back the terminals. No change.
6. Putting the smarkey under the steering column - at a very specific place, by trial and error, was able to start the car. But still no AC, No Dash lights, No Message Console, No Speedometer, No Tachometer, no turn light or hazard light indicators (but the actual lights themselves are working). Only lights that are working are the car Dome lights and Headlight On indicator (the green light). High beam indicator does not work.

Driver side front and rear windows work. Not the passenger side front or rear. Power locks work.

Interestingly, did not have a problem with lowering or increasing the height of the Car after starting the car.

Will be taking to the dealer for a check. Will post back on a resolution. Thanks to all here for the information.

olabodejegede

Reaction score
Hello,
Please were you able to solve the LR4 starting problems? A have a RRS with similar issues presently. How did you go about the solution? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV