InControl Apps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someday I just want to be able to use Google Maps app on my vehicle's display.

Too much to ask!??

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I want Google as their quality has declined over the years. I would prefer a standardized interface where I could use my vendor of choice. LR provides the head unit, I provide the back-end unit (logical split guessed at here)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I want Google as their quality has declined over the years. I would prefer a standardized interface where I could use my vendor of choice. LR provides the head unit, I provide the back-end unit (logical split guessed at here)

That's odd, even here in the Middle East nothing can touch Google Maps. I live in a state of 24/7 construction in Qatar and Google updates nonstop for road closures, alt routes, congestion avoidance, etc. I haven't seen anything remotely as good.

I do agree that having your own choice with a standardized interface would be optimal.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are maps necessary?
RoughType

".....Google Maps already has well over a billion users, and that number gets bigger all the time. As O’Beirne wrote, “As smartphone usage continues to explode, how long will it be until the majority of the world is using the same map? And what are the implications of this?”

Indeed.

Now, in a new and illuminating post, “What Happened to Google Maps?,” O’Beirne offers a thoroughgoing assessment of what our universal map is coming to look like. He examines how Google Maps has changed over the last few years, with a particular focus on its varying levels of resolution. What he discovers is that, as a cartographic tool, Google Maps has gone to hell. Detail has been lost and, along with it, context. (Detail reappears as you zoom way in, but by then the larger context, and the sense of place that goes with it, has been sacrificed.) If you want to use a Google Map in a traditional way, as a means, say, to plot a course between a couple of cities a hundred miles apart, you’re going to be frustrated. O’Beirne provides an example of how Google Maps’ display of New York City and its environs changed between 2010 and 2016:......."

All products evolve, some diverge from your needs. Vendor lock-in is always bad.

Interesting the perspective on ME google maps vs. the RoughType article on the high density Northeast corridor of the US.

DaJammer

Reaction score
I think the point is being able to use whatever map app you choose to use from your smartphone based on your own particular preferences, and have it seamlessly integrate with the NAV screen on our vehicles. Via BT would be great, and if I did have to plug in a cable and use in conjunction with InControl, I could even live with that. But at least I can use the map of my choice and not a hard drive based system that needs updates from the dealership.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
I think the point is being able to use whatever map app you choose to use from your smartphone based on your own particular preferences, and have it seamlessly integrate with the NAV screen on our vehicles. Via BT would be great, and if I did have to plug in a cable and use in conjunction with InControl, I could even live with that. But at least I can use the map of my choice and not a hard drive based system that needs updates from the dealership.

Damn good points. Never thought of that.

DaJammer

Reaction score
As a follow up to an earlier post I made about the Remote App, found out that this is not compatible with the LR4's. I thought having some of the data that this app spits out would be cool to have such as ODO reading, gas remaining, trip mileage and times, etc. I see now that it also has the abilty to start and lock/unlock the vehicle remotely (hence Remote name).

So officially I can say from my perspective, the apps that are available at this point in time via InControl are of very little interest to me and hence, will not be used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV