Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my setup. 5100 lbs dry. About 6,000 lbs loaded. (Max GVW is 6,500). Just under 25' in length when towing. 11' high.

Curt Class III receiver. Hensley Arrow Cub hitch. And, yes, it is more complex to hookup and unhook. And, yes, due to the higher tongue weight (I have weighted it at around 650 lbs) and the various concerns and absence of commitment from Land Rover regarding their "plug and play" receiver I installed the Curt which has forced me to put a "toy" spare tire underneath. During off road season I put my off road spare on top.

I pull it with a 2014 LR4 w/ the SCV6 and 8-speed transmission. I have the HD package and there was one trailer site where I had to pull it up a steep hill at no more than 10 mph. So I just dropped it into 4L and it worked great.

Anyway, pulls great here in the Colorado mountains.

Maybe I'll see you all out on the roads some time. If I do, be sure to say, "Hi"!

Such a great setup! :thrasher:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking setup! These vehicles look great in towing mode.

Is the Andersen part of a total hitch system or is the OEM receiver involved in the hookup? The reason I ask is because I have been toying with the idea of an Airstream and there are mixed opinions on hitch options. Also seems to be relatively little use of LRs as tow vehicles in the AS forum I've been lurking around. This is surprising to me. Maybe it's because they blew all their bucks on the AS haha.

Good luck with the maiden voyage!

Andersen is part of a total hitch system along with the OEM receiver. So its plug and play into any receiver. Ive been dreaming of an Airstream for years. When the kids are grow up and its just me and wife the plan is a RR and Airstream. :cool:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of these rigs are **** and I'm envious. I hope others will post up some pics of their LRs + travel trailers, too.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, yes, due to the higher tongue weight (I have weighted it at around 650 lbs) and the various concerns and absence of commitment from Land Rover regarding their "plug and play" receiver I installed the Curt which has forced me to put a "toy" spare tire underneath. During off road season I put my off road spare on top.

I was gonna say... with that roof rack you could bring your full size up top or somewhere in the trailer.

Thats one thing I need to get wrapped up. I bought a FS wheel and have a tire on order. Need to get it mounted and on the rig!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say... with that roof rack you could bring your full size up top or somewhere in the trailer.

Thats one thing I need to get wrapped up. I bought a FS wheel and have a tire on order. Need to get it mounted and on the rig!

Yep. I put it on top. When I took this pic I had it in the back of the LR4 but that is awkward when you want to use the back. Most of last summer I had it on top. Even had to take a FS spare on/off a couple of times on the trail due to flats. :argh:

It would be nice if we didn't have to go with the Curt receiver and could store the FS spare underneath. But we like our trailer and will spend far more time in it than I (hopefully) will taking the spare on/off the top.

I remove the rack during the winter. But I also put the stock wheels back on with snow tires. So for that reason I am going to get a "toy" spare and put it underneath. Not something I would want to use off road but it will be OK for the sort of winter driving we do should I ever need it.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My requirement is dry camping in places I can access. If that includes some trail work the better. Since the below pic the LR hitch has been replaced with Rhino and 285/60-18 Grabber AT2 spare tire relocated from cargo to original factory storage. The factory hitch does not allow an oversize tire. Rhino does and moves receiver to normal position. Swing-away? Maybe in future.

Attachments

• Molas (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    Molas (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for that reason I am going to get a "toy" spare and put it underneath. Not something I would want to use off road but it will be OK for the sort of winter driving we do should I ever need it.

Maybe I can sell you mine when I get the FS one on. :hello:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. When you all pull your trailers, how do you use the transmission. I was on a Land Cruiser site recently where they were discussing pulling a trailer with the new 8-speed transmission they added to that truck. Apparently there is a setting for the LC that allows you to limit the transmission to a particular (higher) gear. So if you set it at 6 the transmission will not shift into the 7 or 8 gears (overdrive.) Some use this when they are pulling a trailer. Others use manual shifting.

I often use S(port) mode when pulling my trailer so it will hold a lower gear longer and so I can manually downshift to use engine braking. Wondering what you other trailer-pullers do.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. When you all pull your trailers, how do you use the transmission. I was on a Land Cruiser site recently where they were discussing pulling a trailer with the new 8-speed transmission they added to that truck. Apparently there is a setting for the LC that allows you to limit the transmission to a particular (higher) gear. So if you set it at 6 the transmission will not shift into the 7 or 8 gears (overdrive.) Some use this when they are pulling a trailer. Others use manual shifting.

I often use S(port) mode when pulling my trailer so it will hold a lower gear longer and so I can manually downshift to use engine braking. Wondering what you other trailer-pullers do.

I have just used the regular auto setting as the trailer is pretty light. I will switch to the manual mode from time to time I imagine but with my P2 brake controller I probably won't use engine braking that often.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no "trailering" experience whatsoever, but I can tell you that flipping the shifter to S(port) in the LR4 won't allow the transmission to engage overdrive (that would be 6th gear in pre-2014s with the 6-speed ZF transmission, not sure about the 8-sp tranny of later model years.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi