Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For long highway climbs like I80 through Wy I sometimes downshift to keep the V8 at an optimal rpm for mph.

For mountainous and trail work, who needs 6th? I will select what I want.

I would think the V8/6-sp is better for altitude where you start down 20% in power. I holds the torque point better.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no "trailering" experience whatsoever, but I can tell you that flipping the shifter to S(port) in the LR4 won't allow the transmission to engage overdrive (that would be 6th gear in pre-2014s with the 6-speed ZF transmission, not sure about the 8-sp tranny of later model years.)

Interesting. I'll need to put mine in Sport and see if I can manually shift to 8th gear.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My requirement is dry camping in places I can access. If that includes some trail work the better. Since the below pic the LR hitch has been replaced with Rhino and 285/60-18 Grabber AT2 spare tire relocated from cargo to original factory storage. The factory hitch does not allow an oversize tire. Rhino does and moves receiver to normal position. Swing-away? Maybe in future.

That is an awesome pic/location! What trailer do you pull?

I have thought about the Rhino hitch but my hitch, a Hensley, has a very specific draw bar and the hitch pin hole on the current Rhino hitch design is too deep for my drawbar to align with it. I can't get the bar in far enough to insert the hitch pin. I spoke with Hensley and they highly recommend that I not modify the drawbar to make it go in further as it could compromise that particular bar when used for weight distribution. So I am stuck unless the Rhino guys make a newer version where the hitch pin hole is closer to the opening of the receiver. I'll keep an eye on it though as that would be my preferred option.

DWarner

Reaction score
Sweet setup Churious! Love the red trailer...Can't say I've ever seen one and I've been camping for decades... Very unique...

Here's our setup... I towed with the LR for the first time over Memorial day weekend myself. The truck towed our unit beautifully and hitched up with the OEM hitch and stabilizer system with ease. Two thumbs up for the LR4 towing experience...

20160529_092220_resized.jpg

20160529_092146_resized.jpg

20160529_195935_resized.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll need to put mine in Sport and see if I can manually shift to 8th gear.

Im manual CommandShift mode, you'll be able to upshift to 8th of course, no restrictions . In automatic Sport mode, I don't believe 8th will ever engage, even when coasting down a highway, just like 6th doesn't in my 6-speed 2013 transmission. The engine stays at higher revs to give you a more instant response when accelerating.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's our setup... I towed with the LR for the first time over Memorial day weekend myself. The truck towed our unit beautifully and hitched up with the OEM hitch and stabilizer system with ease. Two thumbs up for the LR4 towing experience...

Very nice! :beer:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im manual CommandShift mode, you'll be able to upshift to 8th of course, no restrictions . In automatic Sport mode, I don't believe 8th will ever engage, even when coasting down a highway, just like 6th doesn't in my 6-speed 2013 transmission. The engine stays at higher revs to give you a more instant response when accelerating.

Thanks. Good to know. I use Sport mode when I'm going off road, when I'm in the mountains or when I'm towing a trailer. All times when I am less likely to need S8, am not concerned about gas mileage and prefer to keep the engine running at higher RPM/in lower gears.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Churious, I don't know where you live but if you are in Colorado I'll keep an eye out for you. I don't think you'll be hard to spot with a red trailer. Pretty awesome looking.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet setup Churious! Love the red trailer...Can't say I've ever seen one and I've been camping for decades... Very unique...

That looks like an awesome pop-up. We've been happy with Rockwood products. Our current trailer is a hybrid as we like the "tent" feel that we had years ago with our pop-up.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

20160529_092220_resized.jpg

20160529_092146_resized.jpg

20160529_195935_resized.jpg

My favorite part is the Land Rover decal on the back of the trailer. Nice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV