HD Pack Locker vs. ARB aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oaklandish

Reaction score
Hey all,

Like many I've been searching aggressively for a low mileage, recent MY (I'm ever-so-slightly partial to '13 for the V8) with the HD option, but I'm realizing this may be a long or futile hunt. Posts on this forum make it seem like it takes some good luck to find one. With that in mind I'm considering buying new, but also don't want to rule out going down the ARB route just yet. Info on recent MY LR4s with the ARB locker seems weirdly scarce though. Seems most threads date to the LR3 era. With that in mind ...

Do any of y'all have firsthand (or even secondhand!) experience/stories with the ARB front air locker on a recent MY LR4?

Any personal opinions on the long-term value (performance, maintenance costs, reliability, etc.) of going ARB/aftermarket vs. just sucking it up and paying for a MY16/16.5 with HD pack? Going new has the obvious benefit of 2 speed transfer box not just locking diff. But I'm trying to weigh the relative value of the extra $ and immediate depreciation that comes with buying new.

Thanks in advance. Also: Thanks immensely to everyone on this board. The amount of information on here is invaluable.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with ARB, but what I can tell you is when I bought mine last year, from a LR dealer no less, they didn't bother putting it in the ad. And I don't think very many non LR dealers no what it is anyway. They are rare, but they are out there but I think you just have to call and ask them to check. Also, even though it's something that I really wanted (just out of principle), I think the general consensus is that it does help but most do just fine without them.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded in my 13 LR4 with HD to the local socal dealer. If you are interested, PM me.

Oaklandish

Reaction score
Roverman: Thanks for the insight. I've noticed that a bit with the dealers as well -- I've spent a whole pile of time lately plugging VINs into the TOPIx search to try and confirm all the options. Regarding whether the lock is essential or not: Seems like for everyone person that says, "gotta have it if you're at all serious," there's somebody else saying, "meh, you're covered 99% of the time without it." I've driven trucks over the years with lockers, and it definitely made a huge difference in those cases, but I don't have any experience with rovers. It seems like the LR traction control software/hardware is miles ahead of anything else I've used.

LR4TQ: Thanks for the heads up -- will msg you. It's funny -- it was actually your earlier thread on the HD issue that really got me wondering about this whole To HD or To Not HD debate. ;)

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the HD package on mine and so far have been very impressed with the LR traction control system and various terrain response settings. I've never gotten in a spot where I would have needed the rear locker, but then again I don't do anything to crazy with my LR4 since it's my DD.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2cents...I have the HD package and often watch to see when the locker engages. It does engage but I was surprised how much you can go through when it doesn't bother to. Personally, I think the LR4 is not really a "serious" off road vehicle to begin with...it just doesn't have the wheel size and clearance, repairs are difficult, it's too expensive, etc. Of course you can add bigger wheels (to a point, still not really serious off road wheels), armor, winches, etc., and if you plan to do all that then maybe the locker is worth holding out for. The locker can make things easier...sand, snow, etc, but you'd get through without it most likely anyway. The locker is no substitute for recovery equipment and knowledge/skill. I just think that this vehicle is best suited for mid-range or easier trails, and you don't really need a rear locker for that.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I have the HD package with rear locker and also added the ARB front locker. My LR4 will go just about anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72