Rethinking Adding Rear Entertainment - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a portable DVD player?

A portable DVD player is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SDVD...392677392&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+dvd+player

Each of our kids has a portable DVD player and they share an iPad when we are on the road. Ages 8 and 5. We have the RES in our minivan and they were always fighting over who got to pick the movie. Now they can each watch whatever they want. They can also use the DVD players in the house/hotel once we get where we are going.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Rosen AV7900 and will be arriving next week. It seems to be a simple install. I just need to see if anyone has done the install before and where did you connect the power source to? I was thinking about tapping in to cigaret lighter, but I am not sure how to get to it. Can anyone help me? or have any pics of install?

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, does it tap into LR4's sound system?

I sometimes regret not getting the RSES, not because my kids need it (so many other portable devices to keep them busy) more so be cause for the price of this vehicle seems you should get the whole enchilada with it.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't do it, it's a waste of money. More things to break & service. I guess people have not heard of iPads or tablets to watch movies on.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more of a convienence factor for me. I have a 5 and 10 yr old who both have iPads, psp vita, DS, etc. my 5 yr old is always asking "are we there yet" and I'm hoping that this will stop with these headrests. I won't have to worry what's charged and if they forgot thier device. Plus I like the fact that it just looks clean. For some it might not be worth the $1100.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the means, I say do it, like you said it's clean and even with handheld devices there is a time when the back-seaters just want to sit back, relax, and watch without holding anything up.

Plus there are those occasions where you arrive somewhere early and you sit in your car for 30 minutes or longer - fun family time for everyone to pile into the back and watch a movie. We do that in our Odyssey with the widescreen RES and it's quite enjoyable.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the means, I say do it, like you said it's clean and even with handheld devices there is a time when the back-seaters just want to sit back, relax, and watch without holding anything up.

Plus there are those occasions where you arrive somewhere early and you sit in your car for 30 minutes or longer - fun family time for everyone to pile into the back and watch a movie. We do that in our Odyssey with the widescreen RES and it's quite enjoyable.

In an accident, hand-held devices are projectiles. Of course there are options for mounting an iPad etc...but that adds complexity.

I have the DVD entertainment system in 2011 LR4 HSE Lux and my 4 yr old loves it.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love ours, in the 2016. For many reasons mentioned above, I agree. iPads can be projectiles, looks ugly hanging, those mounts always wear out quick and I have to order 2-3 in a year, we sometimes forget them at home, or the battery dies because didn't get the charger or the kids unknowingly kicked it out of the socket, etc. And when we park depending on where it is in town, we have to hide the iPads cuz of fear of theft. Annoying.

I played with putting movies burned off my home DVDs or BDs on my USB stick but no go. I think it's a codec thing, because for example i made an MP4 file of my wedding (short clip) and it worked fine with audio too. I tried to rip several movies into MKV or MP4, but no go on the Rover. Is this a DRM thing were it senses the "signature" of a movie feature film and blocks it?

Oh well, I guess I'll just buy DVDs of whatever they want if we have the BD version at home ;) Yes the screen quality is good as said here too. Quite good.

Plus I'm leasing so technically I'm not paying $2500 for it, even if I did pay MSRP (which I def did not).

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have RSE. 3 kids 7,5, and 3. Couldn't survive without it. That said, before I bought this lightly used 2015 Lux that has RSE, I was going to order one without it and use Ipads with a wireless router and just stream content wirelessly via USB drive to router to Ipads.

The RSE route does eliminate the "dad my ipad's not working" issues while I'm driving. Pop in the movie and I'm done. I like the fact that I don't have to do anything.

As for the thought on being able to take your ipad with you when get to your destination, that's a fair point, but I'd rather not have the kids tied to an ipad everywhere they go.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does my 2016 car with RES accept multiple discs simultaneously in my head unit disc slot? i.e. is it a 6-disc changer? Or a single disc? The build sheet for my car, and any online info I am finding on the RES, show that the $2500 system includes a DVD changer. So to avoid risking damaging the unit tonight when I get home and try to jam a 2nd disc in there since one is already in, can someone confirm? I am not sure why this info is hard to obtain...the manual doesn't say anything about this, other than:

The player will accommodate 1 CD or DVD disc at a time, but up to 10 CDs can be uploaded onto the virtual CD store.

Only CDDA discs can be loaded onto the virtual CD store.

^^ Is that for cars WITHOUT RES only?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA