Just picked up EBC pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my brake pads for second time on the LR4, 34K miles. Rotors are only halfway through their life, fronts at 28.7+mm for example. My wife drives the car all day around town, stopping and going traffic. I am surprised others have had to replace rotors already. When removing the brake sensors, be careful you don't loose or throw away the sensor clip that can get stuck on the pads.

I always follow Bodsy's bible for Disco3 brakes, A few photos to help with some differences to the LR4. The first one is critical for any LR4 owner removing wheels, I extend my 18 breaker bar with a 30 black pipe, makes the dealer over torqued nuts come off easier and cost $7 at hardware store.

By the way, the wooden tool I use to hold rear caliper up and to help push in the pistons is for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5738.jpg
    IMG_5738.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5743.jpg
    IMG_5743.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5748.jpg
    IMG_5748.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5749.jpg
    IMG_5749.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 88

TXLR4

Reaction score
Thanks for posting Izzy. Have you gotten the rotors turned at all when you replaced the pads?

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, no turning rotors unless they are warped. I only had one time on an old honda minivan that had actual warped rotors. So I just replace pads and bed them in. This may incite tremors for the purists out there, but that's what I have been doing on my cars for 30 years.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory Land Rover rotors are made of soft and fairly thin metal, they are easily damaged if you try turning them. That's why virtually all dealers and most knowledgeable indies won't even try that.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory Land Rover rotors are made of soft and fairly thin metal, they are easily damaged if you try turning them. That's why virtually all dealers and most knowledgeable indies won't even try that.

That's good to hear. When my rotors are done I will see if I can take them to the lab for a Rockwell test on the steel, bring some of my racing gears and compare/measure how softer they are relative to Brembos or Stoptechs.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if rear brakes are done, but the parking brake is not adjusted/recalibrated?

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if rear brakes are done, but the parking brake is not adjusted/recalibrated?
If you mean the parking brake shoes inside the drum rather than just the rear pads, failing to perform the adjustment will result in some god awful screeching from the EPB module when applying the EPB and if ignored most likely a replacement module at a cost of $700...

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a independent brake shop know to do this, and do it correctly?

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean the parking brake shoes inside the drum rather than just the rear pads, failing to perform the adjustment will result in some god awful screeching from the EPB module when applying the EPB and if ignored most likely a replacement module at a cost of $700...

Is there a thread on this somewhere?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV