Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody uses a Rasta gearbox guard with Rover Specialties sliders...or alone?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys buy ASFIR protection plates?

I called UrbanOffroad and they told me they don't sell these anymore due to many complains from clients regarding company products( design flows, holes drilled improperly in places that could not match chassis original mounting points and such..)

I am not really sure if he was talking about all the brands, but products on their website are purely left for traffic only.

i already have Mantec sump guard and probably get a Rasta Gearbox guard, which is also aluminum, would love to see more products made with this lighter metal, such as rear diff guard, sliders and such..

I am not sure how Rasta gearbox will fit with RS sliders that I already have...Anybody have both by any chance?

That sucks to hear. I guess I need to call them and ask what they recommend instead.

I would like to use Aluminum. That would help with the weight issue.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about just pulling the trigger on the asfir front skid and transmission skids.

Anyone think of a reason not to?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I am still mixed on them being aluminum, but Im guessing I wont be hitting them much. 99.999% of the time it would be nice carrying less weight, the question is, when I am in moab and scratching the crap out of them or coming down on a rock.. will they protect me enough to have been worth buying in the first place?

Hrm...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Asfir guard is bent after taking some major hits on nasty rock gardens here in the local mountains that make Moab look like a paved highway by comparison, but it's still quite serviceable and I cringe at the thought of what might have broken without it. The guard looks a little crooked, that's all. It's a heavy gauge aluminum plate, so it offers real protection. Until and unless someone comes up with something stronger - and heavier - made of steel, this is the best solution. The factory guard (by Mantec) is also made of aluminum, it's no thicker, and extends far less under the engine bay than the Asfir. And costs twice as much.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about just pulling the trigger on the asfir front skid and transmission skids.

Anyone think of a reason not to?
It's funny you revive this post, as I just pulled the trigger on some additional (and replacement) protection.

My front skid plate/sump guard is from GN Vehicle Protection out of the UK and it's extremely heavy duty. Unfortunately, they no longer make skid plates for the LR4/Discovery 4 - only the LR3/Discovery 3. I like the 2-piece design of the Asfir plates and I know a couple folks who have them and are really happy. I am planning to do a front bumper, so my GN Vehicle Protection skid plate is fine until that time (next few months). Tactical 4x4 is also working on a rear bumper for the LR4.

My local Land Rover club just did a group buy from Tactical 4x4 (formerly Tactical Rovers) and I bought a gas tank skid plate and transfer case skid plate. These are extremely heavy duty and not the lightest option, but I want rock solid protection. At this point, I don't care about the extra weight with everything else on my truck or going to be on it in the near future.

As you know, I have the Urban Offroad rock sliders (with steps) and I really like them, but I am actually now switching to the Tactical 4x4 sliders because of the extra protection they offer. Since my club was doing a group buy, I decided to go ahead and get the LR4 rock sliders (with steps). I think the Urban Offroad sliders are very well built, but my exposed air tank and EAS compressor did get a few nicks here and there - especially the compressor case since it hangs a bit lower on the 2013. So, I will be removing my Urban Offroad sliders (they are already sold) and putting on the Tactical 4x4 sliders, which extend far under the truck.

With the Tactical 4x4 sliders, gas tank skid plate, and transfer case skid plate, I am looking at several hundred pounds, but it will also offer awesome protection for the entire underside. I think you would likely be just fine (I know I probably would) with the Asfir products, but I love the Tactical 4x4 plates, even though they are pretty darn heavy. For me, it's worth spending the money and getting good protection - just in case.

I hope that helps!

-David

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I like my Voyager sliders. I know they dont protect that compressor well, but im not sure im willing to mess with it to fix that.

I haven't read of anyone actually messing up the compressor yet, but I doubt too many newer LR4 have really been off roading enough to see that story yet. I kinda got stuck up on a big log/tree that was laid down across a gravel track a few months back. I think I rubbed the plastic cover on the compressor doing that, but it didnt seem to crack anything.... who knows.

i don't have a lot of rock around here, so this is really just prep for when I can get out west or for the next time I do something stupid in Iowa.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I like my Voyager sliders. I know they dont protect that compressor well, but im not sure im willing to mess with it to fix that.

I haven't read of anyone actually messing up the compressor yet, but I doubt too many newer LR4 have really been off roading enough to see that story yet. I kinda got stuck up on a big log/tree that was laid down across a gravel track a few months back. I think I rubbed the plastic cover on the compressor doing that, but it didnt seem to crack anything.... who knows.

i don't have a lot of rock around here, so this is really just prep for when I can get out west or for the next time I do something stupid in Iowa.
I actually like the look of the Voyager sliders best of all. The idea of raising the compressor sounds a bit daunting, so hopefully it will go well and not produce too much vibration/noise.

As for the ASFIR plates, I think their front skid plate is probably the best choice of what is out there on the market. I ended up going with Tactical 4x4 gas and transfer case skid plates because I was told that the ASFIR plates (apart from the front skid plate) has had some fitment issues with the LR4. I wonder if anyone on the forum has experienced any issues?

Derek from Urban Offroad used to carry the ASFIR plates, but he said there were many issues with fitting on the LR4 that he stopped carrying them last year. I wonder if ASFIR has fixed their designs if this was an issue?

We have a fair amount of rock in CA, but even with the protection, I don't plan to go too crazy at all. This is more for the just in case scenario.

-David

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my T44 transfer case and fuel tank skid plates on order and wanted to add Asfir sump guard, but....... It looks like Asfir has no distributors in the US as for today. I like the Asfir because of the extended area it covers comparing to other sump guards. I visited their previous Scottsdale, AZ location and was told they were gone. I contacted some local places which used to sell Asfir products but no success.
I emailed Asfir office in Israel and waiting for an answer regarding where to buy it.
In the meantime I looked at some other options including

1.Front Runner http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/discovery-4-sump-guard-alu-6mm-1983.html#.VAksDmcg-Ym

2.Devon http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?p...ry_id=1013394&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

I am not sure who sells Devon product here in the States.

3.Mantec ( OEM front skid plate for LR4)

Asfir ~$400 largest area covered, 6mm thickness
Front runner similar $475 , powder coated black, 6mm thickness
Land rover OE ( Mantec) ~$650, 8mm thickness, "good looking"

Does anyone have pictures of front runner sump guard installed on LR4? how far does it extend comparing to Mantec ( Land Rover). I like the look of Land rover plate and that it is 8mm thick ( correct me if I ma wrong).
Front runner is powder coated black, so it will not be noticeable.
I wish I had ordered Asfir plate when it was still available.
Let me know about your thoughts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV