Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This company in AZ is apparently still selling the Asfir plate: http://www.aotechusa.com/product/front-skid-plate-05-11-land-rover-range-rover-sport/ - it says RRS, but it is the same plate that fits LR3 and LR4. Hurry up before they are out.

Thanks Umberto.
How did you find it???? I tried to buy it online immediately but it looks like I can not and will have to call them tomorrow.
I am familiar with OE land rover sump guard but not with front runner.
If not Asfir then which one would you recommend.
PS. I talked to Eric form Tactical 4x4 and there will be no sump guard for our lr4 . :mad::frown:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.

I just realized that the phone number on the web site Umberto provided a link to, is a place I visited today. AOT used to be Asfir representative in the US. not any longer. It looks like I have to decide between FrontRunner and Mantec ( Land rover).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. A member of our local club just bought an Asfir sump guard from that AZ company for his own LR4, no more than 4-5 days ago I believe. Sorry. I am afraid I don't know the other manufacturers you mentioned. The Mantec-made OEM is nothing special, nicely made and fits perfect of course, but doesn't really protect much, and it's very expensive.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. A member of our local club just bought an Asfir sump guard from that AZ company for his own LR4, no more than 4-5 days ago I believe. Sorry. I am afraid I don't know the other manufacturers you mentioned. The Mantec-made OEM is nothing special, nicely made and fits perfect of course, but doesn't really protect much, and it's very expensive.

It looks like the guy got the last one they had. When I talked to them yesterday at their office I was told that the last front skid plate was sent to California few days before.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my T44 transfer case and fuel tank skid plates on order and wanted to add Asfir sump guard, but....... It looks like Asfir has no distributors in the US as for today. I like the Asfir because of the extended area it covers comparing to other sump guards. I visited their previous Scottsdale, AZ location and was told they were gone. I contacted some local places which used to sell Asfir products but no success.
I emailed Asfir office in Israel and waiting for an answer regarding where to buy it.
In the meantime I looked at some other options including

1.Front Runner http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/discovery-4-sump-guard-alu-6mm-1983.html#.VAksDmcg-Ym

2.Devon http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?p...ry_id=1013394&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

I am not sure who sells Devon product here in the States.

3.Mantec ( OEM front skid plate for LR4)

Asfir ~$400 largest area covered, 6mm thickness
Front runner similar $475 , powder coated black, 6mm thickness
Land rover OE ( Mantec) ~$650, 8mm thickness, "good looking"

Does anyone have pictures of front runner sump guard installed on LR4? how far does it extend comparing to Mantec ( Land Rover). I like the look of Land rover plate and that it is 8mm thick ( correct me if I ma wrong).
Front runner is powder coated black, so it will not be noticeable.
I wish I had ordered Asfir plate when it was still available.
Let me know about your thoughts.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this, and now I am kicking myself because the asfir is not available... so im still watching the research and considering.

Thanks for the details.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news,
Eric form Tactical 4x4 and Derek from Urban Offroad are considering making a sump guard for LR4. It is nothing for sure but I was asked if I pre ordered one if they had one which would complement tactical 4x4 existing skid plates.
Those are small companies with great products and superior costumer support.
Since they are thinking about making it we could let them know how many people would be interested in this sump guard and encourage them to make it real.
I know that MBW is looking for a sump guard. Anyone else ???

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it would be made of steel plate? Oh well, what's another 50 lbs among friends, right? That's s good news, if the guys at Tactical make something, it is going to be first class all the way. When I got fitted for my sliders last year they took a real good and long look at my Asfir guard, and they even had a brand new Mantec guard on hand (from an LR3) to use as possible blueprint. They never ended up taking measurements though, as they said they were busy enough with the products they already offered at the time.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it would be made of steel plate? Oh well, what's another 50 lbs among friends, right? That's s good news, if the guys at Tactical make something, it is going to be first class all the way. When I got fitted for my sliders last year they took a real good and long look at my Asfir guard, and they even had a brand new Mantec guard on hand (from an LR3) to use as possible blueprint. They never ended up taking measurements though, as they said they were busy enough with the products they already offered at the time.
I think you hit the nail on the head - all this extra weight! I am NOT one to talk, as I have really outfitted my LR4 to be super heavy. With that said, my GN Vehicle Protection sump guard (they no longer make it anymore) was pretty light since it was thick aluminum. I really liked it, but obviously had to take it off for the ARB front bumper.

Tactical 4x4 is a great company, but I know they have been a bit slow since the fire damaged a major building and equipment. I need to contact Eric, as he wanted to fit an LR3 rear bumper to my LR4 - more weight! :)

Seriously though, for those of you who are thinking about the Tactical 4x4 sliders or skids - very nice pieces of steel and offer great protection. My only caution is that they are VERY heavy and DEFINITELY affect the ride of the vehicle. I believe Umberto drops the gas tank skid when it's not in use - is that right? Even with the gas tank skid and transfer case skid (which is not as heavy) on with my sliders, my rig drives a bit different.

Even so, I never wanted to a sports car and it still has plenty of pep when needed. Just a word of caution for those who commute long distances or want absolute comfort - the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders are completely different than the Voyager and Urban Offroad sliders I had previously.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stole it!

hi guy new to the forums but im the guy that stole that last skid plate. i am having some fitment issues with the front skid and the gear skid i got but nothing you cant solve with a little cutting and drilling after all it was design for the lr3 and Umberto i see you every forum that has a "L" and a "R" on it you are a land rover info GOD ok putting the man crush aside i do think i will go for aluminum as much as i can comparing the mantek and the front asfir in weigh and thickness asfir seem a lot better choise will try and get there rear diff skid and hope someone comes out wil a lighter skid for the gas tank.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it was you who stole my front skid plate. It looks like I was few days late. Anyway, I am about to get Asfir plate shipped directly from Israel. Could you, please ,specify what fitment issues you had with it ? I knew it would not blend with a fender like on LR3 but otherwise it should be an easy bolt on installation.
BTW. No sump guard from tactical 4x4 in near future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72